Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't like the finish on my guitar.. It's too dull.. Its an rg520 with the (way too dark) blue over green, it would be nice if you could see through the blue.. here's some pics..

i've never painted a guitar before.. but i do have some experience with spray paint.. but i really wanna be able too see the grain still.. I was thinking a finish more like this guitar :

how would i do a finish like that? its gorgeous lol. i dunno im just really bored with the finish.. i didn't buy the guitar for the looks, i bought it for sound and playability (and my first floating trem lol)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I really don't like the finish on my guitar.. It's too dull.. Its an rg520 with the (way too dark) blue over green, it would be nice if you could see through the blue.. here's some pics..

i've never painted a guitar before.. but i do have some experience with spray paint.. but i really wanna be able too see the grain still.. I was thinking a finish more like this guitar :

how would i do a finish like that? its gorgeous lol. i dunno im just really bored with the finish.. i didn't buy the guitar for the looks, i bought it for sound and playability (and my first floating trem lol)
I saw a band play once where the whole time I thought this guy was playing a fire engine red ESP horizon. Turns out it was a AAA flame maple topped transparent red horizon, but you couldn't tell from the audience and that is a waste of aesthetics. I was very far from stage either, maybe 50 feet max.

So I recommend the change.

·
Registered
666 Posts
With the way your scalloped frets ended up, i think you should stay away from sanders and leave it the way it is. If not, just buy a new guitar. Or have it painted professionally. Additionally, they can remove the guitar top and add a nicer grade of veneer maple so you can get the jc look.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the way your scalloped frets ended up, i think you should stay away from sanders and leave it the way it is. If not, just buy a new guitar. Or have it painted professionally. Additionally, they can remove the guitar top and add a nicer grade of veneer maple so you can get the jc look.
My scallops came out perfect.. i just haven't got to putting some oil on the fretboard yet.. i don't have any.. i know what im doing when it comes to paint i've got plenty of experience.. just not on guitars... :mad:,

besides i can't afford a professional paint job.. way too damned expensive =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts