Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an old beat up RG550 that I really want to get refinished in some sort of swirl. However, I can't seem to find anybody here in the states that specializes in this type of work. Of course, I found EKG and LGM, but both of them seem to be WAY backlogged. So here are a few questions:

1. Are there any other custom shops (besides EKG and LGM) who do swirls here in the U.S?
2. If I were to send to the UK, who would be better, Sims Custom or Cottam Guitars?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
!!!!!! They are in driving distance from me!!!!!!

I assumed that the Sims Custom Banner at the top linked to the Sims Custom located out of the U.K., not one in Tennessee!

Are they affiliated with one another?

Edit: Nvm, I read the big thread about the differences. So is this TN based Sims Custom a reputable place to have a guitar refinished?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think a few people on here got them done and like the results. Just look at the price and see if YOU are happy with it. They'll do fine work.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
waylay00 said:
Hey guys, I have an old beat up RG550 that I really want to get refinished in some sort of swirl. However, I can't seem to find anybody here in the states that specializes in this type of work. Of course, I found EKG and LGM, but both of them seem to be WAY backlogged. So here are a few questions:

1. Are there any other custom shops (besides EKG and LGM) who do swirls here in the U.S?
2. If I were to send to the UK, who would be better, Sims Custom or Cottam Guitars?
Swirls? You can always go to ATD you if can get a hold of him.

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Within driving distance = no brainer.
Keep us posted on time/service/price and be sure to post pics when you get the thing done.

ilia

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dex said:
Within driving distance = no brainer.
Keep us posted on time/service/price and be sure to post pics when you get the thing done.

ilia
Actually 4 hours driving distance (I assumed they were in Nashville at first because of the e-mail, [email protected]), but hey, it's better than over the ocean...

·
Registered
375 Posts
While i have not yet sent my guitar to get it refinished (I can't pick a color and settle on it lol) I can say that the responses to my questions via email have been timely and professional. They sound really nice and I am going to give them my business as soon as I can make up my mind on the color I want =)

If you Click on the Guitar Gallery link, you can see the swirls they have done near the bottom of the page.

Please post pics when you get it done =)

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
If you have a true custom body/motorcycle shop around, they will have left over wild colors and you can get a pro job pretty cheap. (If you think $100-$200 is cheap)

1,164 Posts
guitarslinger213 said:
go to a custom motorcycle/chopper shop.

say, "get some house of kolor neon pink. use it on this guitar."

it could be $200-300.
Like this?.........we only charge $165 for neon colors

Ayrton said:
If you have a true custom body/motorcycle shop around, they will have left over wild colors and you can get a pro job pretty cheap. (If you think $100-$200 is cheap)
We do A TON of custom bikes and cars......hows this for left over wild colors......

Heres a few "Sneak Peek" of some guitars that are currently in progress that will soon be finished and be in our Guitar Gallery shortly.......

And yes, thats REAL Brazilian Rosewood on the Warrior acoustic above....front, back, sides, fretboard, headstock and a 9 peice neck.....$45,000 :)

1,164 Posts
Gilk420 said:
You can't possibly be saying that you are going to swirl (or paint in any way) that Brazilian acoustic??
Yea, I cleared it. It was a just built BRAND NEW guitar when we received it.........we do the finishing work for Warrior Instruments.........their acoustics, basses and electric guitars are sent to us after they are built at their factory.

1,164 Posts
Its by far the Highest quality, best fit and finish, absolute BEST playing and sounding acoustic I've ever seen or played. Its the only acoustic I've ever played that plays like an electric guitar with a tremelo....the strings are that easy to bend and the action is that good, you could literally solo on this thing with no problems, and if you look it has a very deep cut lower cutaway, making access to the upper frets a breeze.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts