Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, needs some advise.

I want to reduce some brightness / treble on the ash-body guitar that I have.
I love this guitar but for me the treble just killing my appetite.

the guitar is RG with see-through finish, maple + rosewood board, nothing special.

I know some options to be taken/ will be taken to reduce the treble :
1. changing the pickups with darker one.
2. put heavier gauge strings, right now I'm using 09, but considering to put 10s.

my question is :
if i remove the finish ( the paint and clear coat) on the body, and let the body natural with no finish or maybe satin oil finish only, will it help to reduce the brightness? or just make it worse?
the reason why I'm considering to remove the finish, because just playing this guitar unplugged , I can hear it's very bright already.

thanks in advanced !!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think playing with the eq won't help much...
the real problem is coming out from the guitar, let me explain :
the way I'm playing result somewhat buzz on some strings, even on an open string, is not a dead buzz, it's more like 'twang'.
adjusting the neck relief? done
adjusting the string action? done

so I'm comparing side by side : same guitar ( RGs), same set up, same string gauge.
one is ash , one is basswood.
acoustically ( unplugged), i can hear the ash is brighter.
plug it in to an amp : the twang on the ash get worse, like I said..even on an open string it twangs.. damn it, i just can't stand it.

I read somewhere that clear coat on guitars effected to the brightness also, that's why I asked, in Ibanez... does it have something to do with the tone?
If I remove the paint, will it be less bright or more bright?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.