Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Last night I watched "War of the Worlds", what an awesome movie!!!...except for the ending! The effects were just amazing (consider I'm a total disaster movie freak, anyway), it really kept me on the edge of my seat and with my mouth open. Of course, I wouldn't expect Oscar material from Cruise, and...how many movies can that Dakota Fanning girl make? I just can't stand her screams!

My advice? leave 20 minutes early, the ending SUCKS!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've already seen the original, and Independence Day(which is what I'm betting this movie is very much like), and I pretty much can't stand Tom Cruise. I think I'll pass on the entire movie.

When is Hollywood going to start making NEW movies again? I do understand why they make these remakes, but there is something to be said for something at least a little original/creative.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
As I hear it, it ends like the book does.

I'm with you on the new movies thing, but even new movies are usually retreads of old ideas. Same stories, heroes, damsels-in-distress, cheesy one liners, ad nauseum.

I liked Batman, though. Talk about a retread - but it was still the coolest rendition yet, IMO.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah, good point. Nothing is ever truely original, anymore. It's all pretty much been done. I'll probably rent the DVD. It takes a lot to get me into a movie theater.

I have heard good things about Batman. I just might have to go see that one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I saw the movie yesterday. Fantastic! I'm definitely seeing it again.

Why does everyone dislike Cruise? I think hes a good actor, and most of his movies are good too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
whatshisname said:
Yeah, good point. Nothing is ever truely original, anymore. It's all pretty much been done. I'll probably rent the DVD. It takes a lot to get me into a movie theater.

I have heard good things about Batman. I just might have to go see that one.
Personally, i think WOTW is way better than batman(nothing against batman, of course:) )for the theaters. Actually, i think WOTW would be quite lame if it wasn't seen in the theater..

Oh, and if you do decide to see WOTW, sit on the front row! It always makes the action that much better..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
WOTW was pretty good, i could see how people wouldn't like the ending but it was just fine and was done like the book anyway so you can't really complain. The new Batman is pretty good too, i only wonder what the remakes of the old ones they have planned are going to be like though. Nobody can do a better joker then Jack.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Just saw WOTW. Great job, sez I. Great FX, good job by the scientology guy, and most of the extra stuff not in the original story were cool additions. I could have done without the halfwit teenager or the part of the ending as concerns him, but otherwise - good. That IS the story's ending. I find it a refreshing change from the normal "then we rallied and kicked ass".

Also, the Kong preview rocked. Again, a retread. Yet I WILL see that in the theater. I loved Willis O'Brien's original, winced at the DeLaurentis remake, and await a GOOD update of that story. I'm an animated monster movie fan from way back - Ray Harryhausen was my hero.

Fantastic 4 will probably be a guilty pleasure. I'd already bet money that the plot & script are weak, but FX and action sequences are cool. And Alba as a blonde - well, it worked for me in Sin City. ;-)

·
Registered
494 Posts
me n my friends who watched also thinks the ending is the downside of the movie
it doesnt really flow through and it certainly didnt end smoothly...not to mention few unanswered questions...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This brings up a good point. Everyone dislikes the ending, but THAT'S how the story ended. I just quickly read through last night (this story and TIME MACHINE are available free online, you know). There were many unknowns in the story, as well.

So, should movies take lots of liberties, or try to keep to the story? I mean, lots of stuff was already changed around, because the original British character wasn't a "hero" so much as an observer, and it wouldn't have played well to modern audiences. But to change the ending would have had sci-fi nuts up in arms. After all, if you want a more "Hollywood" ending, there's always "Independence Day" - basically a modern retelling of WOTW.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just saw this yesterday (had seen Batman Tuesday, which I found brilliant) but I was utterly disappointed by WoTW.

I am amazed that people would actuallly recommend that others see this piece of [email protected] Cruise is not a good actor but he really messed this one up. I'm still puzzled what Spielberg was doing during the shoots. There is absolutely no way that you can identify or sympathize with the main characters, the story is very thin and the only actual plot twist are rediculous. I'm sure it's pretty true to the original, but why didn't they eliminate the obvious continuity and logical errors?

Most of the special effect looked very 80s, not a 2005 movie (AFAIK Batman was mostly real not CGI to add insult to injury). Some of the shots have good atmosphere, but as soon as the action starts this is ruined. Sound was nice though. But still not enough to warrant a visit to the theater. Personally I would rank this miles below Independence Day or even The Day after Tomorrow. At least ID had some comic relief.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ozzdoc said:
whats the ending! Tell me what happens that makes it so crappy!
Well, you asked for it..

SPOILER:

It's basically just one of those happy "tied in a purple bow" endings. Theres this scene where Ray has to let go of his son in order to save his daughter(sorry, its hard to explain this part, you must see it!). Then he thinks his son is dead throughout the movie. THEN they finally find there way to Boston where his daughters mother is(there divorced)and all of the houses are perfect, like nothing ever happend. Then the mom and the son come out, along with the rest of the family. (it really seems worste when you see it)

There you go. Still see the movie!! The ending isn't enough to keep me from watching it again.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen..... mediocre effects, plot, ending, actors, you name it.

ANd what the hell where those red roots everywhere?!?!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I didnt like it.
I thought Batman was pretty good, but WoTW was poor. I was expecting better. Films nowadays just dont excite me. No film in the last 5 years has excited me. I am a fan of the older "action" films and stuff to be honest anyway. I thought Tom Cruise was pretty good in it, but for me it was just another film full of crappy false computer effects. Nothing looks real anymore.

And why in the hell was it called War of the Worlds?
The only place they ever mentioned was the USA. What about Africa, UK, Russia......and all the other places in the world?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
zEr0 said:
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen..... mediocre effects, plot, ending, actors, you name it.

ANd what the hell where those red roots everywhere?!?!
Terraforming, dude. Well, Martian-forming. Wells had no idea that the red planet was red dirt. So he imagined red water, flora, etc. Of course, we know that Mars isn't like that, so the movie doesn't mention "martian", just "alien".

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
eviltwin said:
Just saw this yesterday (had seen Batman Tuesday, which I found brilliant) but I was utterly disappointed by WoTW.

I am amazed that people would actuallly recommend that others see this piece of [email protected] Cruise is not a good actor but he really messed this one up. I'm still puzzled what Spielberg was doing during the shoots. There is absolutely no way that you can identify or sympathize with the main characters, the story is very thin and the only actual plot twist are rediculous. I'm sure it's pretty true to the original, but why didn't they eliminate the obvious continuity and logical errors?

Most of the special effect looked very 80s, not a 2005 movie (AFAIK Batman was mostly real not CGI to add insult to injury). Some of the shots have good atmosphere, but as soon as the action starts this is ruined. Sound was nice though. But still not enough to warrant a visit to the theater. Personally I would rank this miles below Independence Day or even The Day after Tomorrow. At least ID had some comic relief.
wow, i couldn't disagree more.

i like cruise, the directing style, and I thought the special effects were tremendous. They looking NOTHING like 80's effects. Probably the best I've ever seen.\
I also didn't like the ending. Only because it was too short though. If it had been 5 or 6 minutes longer, it would've been much better.

------SPOILER------

The spoiler above missed the most important part of the ending. Cruise and his family are fine, but that's only because the alien intruders are defeated by the micro-organisms living on earth, which they simply have not evolved to cope with. They exterminate humans like mice, but can't succeed because they are frail in earths environment. It is all to quick that you see the alien machines drop to the ground. 1 minute their destroying everything, the next they are behaving eradically and are dropping dead.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I know that's the way the book ends...but isn't the job of Hollywood screenwriters to adapt originals seeking a more entertaining movie?

What I did like:
-The effects: awesome! the scene where the tripod emerges from underground was incredible, cars flying and all. My jaw was open for an hour! LOL.

-The absence of the common "news flash" clips from all over the world, which is on EVERY disaster movie (well the news girls shows a little on the plane crash site).

-The humility of the main character: he doesn't try to save the world, he's confused, scared, and just cares for his kids. I was sure that at some point Cruise was going to misteriously get access to a B2 or something and slay them all...well, I guess Spielberg couldn't resist it and put that hand granade scene anyway, where Cruise singlehandedly blows a tripod, and yet results unharmed.

What I didn't like:
-Microorganisms killing them all: yeah, aliens develop the technology to travel light years and conquer a planet in hours, yet they don't know there are microorganisms...I would have liked something more believable -yet corny- like their machines being affected by the acid in the air, which wasn't there thousands of years ago when they planted the tripods.

-The happy family gathering: aliens smoke everything, and yet the neighbourhood in boston is untouched, and to worsen it, the kid is alive, even if he went to an obvious death situation.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not to sound reductionist or anything, but imagine getting all psyched for invading Earth only to have your plans ruined by what amounts to an intergalactic case of Montezuma's Revenge...

That's quite possibly the most anti-climatic red herring of a plot resolution. I'm sure M. Night Shaymalan is kicking himself for not using that one in Signs.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i think that ending is much better than the hero who manages to take down an army of super intelligent aliens - singlehandedly- ending.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts