Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with their Edge Pro or other type of floating bridges and what they did to fix them. When I pick hard the bridge sort of flutters and warbles real quick, but it produces an annoying tone. The sound is like if you push the bar back and quickly release it, like a small flutter.

I have tried the 3 springs in the straight across arrangement and with the two outer springs pointing inward so that the middle 3 hooks are occupied. This is on a prestige 1570 if that makes any difference.

I haven't noticed this on my RG550 w/ original Edge or my Charvel with a Ping Floyd Rose, so I thought maybe it has something to do w/ the Edge Pro.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Do I need to change the springs? Any Ideas.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is your pick hand resting on the bridge when you're picking hard? I have a tendency to push on the bridge if I'm getting into the music and playing hard. As soon as I hear the pitch go up I realize what I'm doing and lighten up. This is on a RG520 with OE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks silverctr, but this happens mainly when playing lead and my hand is not resting on the bridge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
m3tafunj. What does your trem feel like to operate? Is it quite soft and easy to move up and down? More so than it used to be perhaps?

·
Registered
59 Posts
All my edge pro's do that, and I actually kinda like it as a subtle effect from time to time. I think it makes the notes sound 'angry' :) so I never tried to fix it.

With hard picking, you are actually like hitting the trem in a small way, and I guess it is normal that it flutters a little.

So you are looking for a solution to avoid or lessen the overall flutter, I am not sure if different springs may work or not.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You pick too hard.
Your technique is the problem.

I pick and fret very light.
This makes my playing more precise and the pitches more accurate.

There are a lot of pluses to a light approach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts