Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have an RG550 in Emerald Green loved the guitar but I am pulling my hair out trying to set this guitar to be playable. Long story short I stop playing for at least 15 years and just got back in about two years ago and focused mainly on acoustic guitar. Busted out my old RG swapped out the strings and performed a full set up. The guitar had 10 gauge strings on it and I down sized to 9 gauge because that was what they original came with . I am getting a warble sound or a wavy sound playing it (especially on G and Low E) . At first I thought i was the pick up height but I back off the picks to the lowest possible. Problem still there. I placed foam in the tremolo springs that did not help. I adjusted the intonation that did not seem to help. I tighten everything down that I can see and I still have a warble sound. I should state I can hear it even without in plugged into the amp so gut is till me that there is something wrong with my guitar I am just out of ideas on what.

thx
xmytruck

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the only thing i can figure it is that it is your bridge or trem springs. Is your trem seated right? knife edges actually contacting the trem posts ? Is it in the neutral position ? I'd say springs but you said you tried foam in the spring cavity so I am not sure.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like something is resonating. Check everything is tightened - nut, pads, trem, saddles, whammy bar etc. Might be springs, I've come across springs that resonate on a certain note before...

'87

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like something is resonating. Check everything is tightened - nut, pads, trem, saddles, whammy bar etc. Might be springs, I've come across springs that resonate on a certain note before...

'87
I noticed that I am getting a slit fret buzz I am going to adjust trust rod and see what what happens. Will keep the group posted. I must be getting old i can did not hear it yesterday.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it's not long had a set-up perhaps something just needs re-adjusting. Often if a guitar's been put away for a while it will take a while to settle in again after an adjustment. Especially truss rods as the wood in the neck will slowly expand/contract with the temp/humidity change from being in a case somewhere to being out and about in the house or wherever.

'87

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were you able to solve this? I have a similar issue with my 550 Genesis which is practically new. There is warble in the G and B strings and when played together in a bar, they resonate into something totally off tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts