Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got around to finally setting up the GreenMeanie project and noticed the fret at the 4TH position low E,A string is high.
What is my best bet a fret leveling or replacement?

Keep in mind this is a brand new neck :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I believe this is normal. Warmoth doesn't level the frets before shipping the necks.

So yeah, just try leveling the frets.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Maybe it's just me (although I've heard this from others) but in my experience, Warmoth frets tend to walk out over time. I don't know if it's the way they seat them, or the size of the fret slot, but they tend to go uneven over time. My solution is to drip a bead of thin superglue down each fret slot from the side immediately upon receipt. It's tedious and can be a little messy, but it's worth it IMO. I don't expect you to do that, especially if you haven't done that kind of stuff before. But what it leads me to say is before you level it, and remove some fret material, try hitting it down. If you don't have a fretting hammer, put a guitar pick over it so you don't mar the fret. You can also try pushing it down and see if there's "flex" in it. If there is, then it should be held down and glued.

·
Registered
257 Posts
frankfalbo said:
Maybe it's just me (although I've heard this from others) but in my experience, Warmoth frets tend to walk out over time. I don't know if it's the way they seat them, or the size of the fret slot, but they tend to go uneven over time. My solution is to drip a bead of thin superglue down each fret slot from the side immediately upon receipt. It's tedious and can be a little messy, but it's worth it IMO. I don't expect you to do that, especially if you haven't done that kind of stuff before. But what it leads me to say is before you level it, and remove some fret material, try hitting it down. If you don't have a fretting hammer, put a guitar pick over it so you don't mar the fret. You can also try pushing it down and see if there's "flex" in it. If there is, then it should be held down and glued.
Put a block of wood covered with a rag under where you are hammering btw :)

The way I learned to do frets is to get the neck straight, run a black marker along the top of the frets, then use a sanding block until the marker is gone. Repeat if you feel its necessary. Then recrown the frets, although I don't have a fret file so I never do this.

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
Using a sanding block on uneven frets will never get them level, unless they're all low. High fret, sanding block only takes as much off the high fret as it does every other fret on either side of it, leaving the high fret, still high ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes, I prefer a tested and proven file for the actual level. Furthermore, if the fret is indeed springy (it lowers into the slot more if pressed) then with each pass, it will retreat and return. That may reduce, but not rectify the situation. That fret wound have to be locked into place (either in it's elevated position or well seated) to accept levelling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can see the glue and it dosn't move but i was thinking like RICH said. If i level it would it always be wider towards the top where the low E is?
This neck was in perfect flat shape except that one spot GRRR.
I tried pounding it a little last night maybe I will hit it again this weekened. They seemed to glue them pretty good so I don't know if it will even move.
I would like to say this project has been fun but it hasn't :( between chasing parts, and a missing pickup still and also the setup problems it would of been easier to add another JEM to my collection LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts