Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use anything from Warmoth? Im concidering building an Yngwie Strat, pretty much the same as his but with out the fender logo. I hear bad stuff about the actual Fender model of the Yngwie model so Id rather do it with another company. If not Warmoth then who? And Id like to do this for under $1000.00
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,591 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about the Fender one, in fact Fender is one company I hear the least bad about.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a grand trying to build a copy when you can gt the real thing used for around that if not less
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
You might find it hard to build a Warmoth for less than $1000 unless you have a lot of spare parts lying around. I recently priced a hardtail strat and it came out to just over $1000. All the little things add up pretty quickly. (Wires, screws, controls, shielding paint / tape, strap buttons, etc etc.)

And yeah, I've never heard anything bad about the Fender.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,591 Posts
What Andre said.
I've seen them go for $950 there.
I was pricing them about a year ago, then I realized a scalloped neck wasn't for me, and got into a project strat that ended up costing me more than I would ever be able to sell it for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
What bad stuff have you heard about the Ynwgie Fender models? They are known as one of the best guitars built. Very high quality, and all the reviews I have heard have been 100% positive. I should know, I have a CA Red with Rosewood Board Yngwie Strat on order! :) I cannot wait, I have waited for one of these for years!

I personally wouldnt build a Warmoth version. It wont be anywhere near the same as the "real thing", and the resale value when you come to sell it will be awful. Not only this, but Warmoth do have a reputation for some crappy worksmanship, e.g. rough frets, neck pockets dont always fit 100%.

Trust me, I have been looking at Yngwie Strats for about 5 years, and never been able to afford one up until now. The going price for them on US **** as others have said is $900 - $950. It will be better for you in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
the.godfather said:
I personally wouldnt build a Warmoth version. It wont be anywhere near the same as the "real thing", and the resale value when you come to sell it will be awful. Not only this, but Warmoth do have a reputation for some crappy worksmanship, e.g. rough frets, neck pockets dont always fit 100%.
I have been hearing the same things about Warmoth lately.

Regards

André
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/WarmothStratPodouk.jpg

This one has the hollow/chambered body of high-end Podouk wood w/ floyd and a neck of the same wood with thick ebony fingerboard and jumbo frets. This one costs more because it has real Abby pickups.

I've had many Fender strats- more over the years than any other type of guitar, and I've had only 2 Warmoths. They will never have the resale of a Fender, but Fender will NEVER offer the quality, fit & finish and options as Warmoth.

You don't buy a Warmoth for resale value- you buy/build them to play to YOUR specifications. I love mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
jemaholic said:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/WarmothStratPodouk.jpg

This one has the hollow/chambered body of high-end Podouk wood w/ floyd and a neck of the same wood with thick ebony fingerboard and jumbo frets. This one costs more because it has real Abby pickups.

I've had many Fender strats- more over the years than any other type of guitar, and I've had only 2 Warmoths. They will never have the resale of a Fender, but Fender will NEVER offer the quality, fit & finish and options as Warmoth.

You don't buy a Warmoth for resale value- you buy/build them to play to YOUR specifications. I love mine.
Exactly ;).

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
jemaholic said:
Fender will NEVER offer the quality, fit & finish and options as Warmoth.
Not so sure about that part. Fender have been around for longer than anybody has. It knows how to make a guitar. If your saying that a US Fender Strat (Yngwie model or otherwise) isnt as good as a Warmoth Parts guitar, thats rubbish. I mean, dont get me wrong, if you prefer your Warmoth Parts thing better, by all means stick with it. But with 50+ years (and counting) of very pleased customers, I think a few people may disagree. But everyone to their own I guess!

A US Yngwie Strat (or any other US Fender for that matter) would give any guitar a run for its money. They are the meaning of quality, fit and finish. Even if your not a "Fender Guy", most people will still agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Just to sum up what others have said here, the Americna Malmsteen Strat is a very nice guitar! I have had mine for almost 7 years now and have had no issues at all with mine. Billy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Sorry, I have 2 YGM's and the fit & finish of USA assembly line guitars does not match up with quility aftermarket products. Just look at the neck pocket and wiring under the guard on the Fenders- I'm not saying it's bad, but cost-savings is part of the Fender equation.
The Custom Shop offers better fit & finish, along with higher resale value- which is the business model for Warmoth anyway: high-end parts/replacement. Warmoth just doesn't have the resale/reputation/history of Fender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,342 Posts
i would definitely counsel against doing so, specifically because I dont know of ANY known issues with the yngwie malmsteen strat. They seem to have a really good resale value, contrary to whatever youve heard, ive heard nothing but good things about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
nick1 said:
Where have you seen an American Yngwie Strat for under $1000?
I saw one used for $800 I believe. I don't have much bad to say about it except it has Yngwie's name on it... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,074 Posts
nick1 said:
Anyone ever use anything from Warmoth? Im concidering building an Yngwie Strat, pretty much the same as his but with out the fender logo. I hear bad stuff about the actual Fender model of the Yngwie model so Id rather do it with another company. If not Warmoth then who? And Id like to do this for under $1000.00
There's one on the evil bay for $1,020

7333128833

On the flipside, I've got myself a pretty nice strat at home I paid around $640 for. You could do the same and scallop the fretboard. The elbow grease could save you quite a bit of money : )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Here's a 1993 YGM in Sonic Blue with rosewood board. I love it.
Remember that these guitars have stacked, double coil pickups and don't sound like regular single-coil strats.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/malmstrat3.jpg

and yes, these have good resale value where the Warmoth has little in comparison- but that also means you can pickup an excellent high-quality Warmoth strat for a good deal less than a strat.
If you buy a Ygn...you'll love it.
Good luck!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it hard to get low action on a scallopped neck? The action in that pic above is WAY too high for me!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top