Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
It wasn't artist model. I think it was released around 1987 with Radius (R) and Power (P). Fromt the top they have same body shape, just the edges (and body thickness) are different. S is thin, R has got rounder shape (aerofoil) and P is quite thick with strange edges (lige RG, but the body cross-section is trapezoid).
But many artist used Sabre. Like J. Batten, Gambale, Alex Skolnick. Only signature S model wich was officialy released is FGM.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One jemsiter has got very nice webpage about 87 Ibanez guitars. I don't know the address, but you will find it here. And I think it was on italian server. There you can find nice pics and see they are same from the top.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my S 7420 2 years ago is because I love the S shape.
The S series are very nice. I've always liked the S 540s from the 1994 catalog.
I think they should bring back the Radius.

·
Registered
223 Posts
JESTER700 said:
They were similar in that they're all "roughly strat shaped but smaller". But they differ a lot in the details, and that description could apply to LOTS of pretty different guitars.
I don't think so. If you look on those pics, they are very similar. The base is the same, just the horns and edges are different. P's got thinnest horns but thickest body, R is medium and S has got thinnest body and thickest horns. I read somewhere, that they had one body shape and were trying to make 3 different guitars from it. P was quite easy, R as well, but they had problems with S, cause it was so thin, there wasn't enough space for jack or pickup selector, even for tremolo.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Flobanez said:
One of the reasons I bought my S 7420 2 years ago is because I love the S shape.
The S series are very nice. I've always liked the S 540s from the 1994 catalog.
I think they should bring back the Radius.
You know my answer to that LEFTY :grin:.

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Phillip said:
I don't think so. If you look on those pics, they are very similar. The base is the same, just the horns and edges are different. P's got thinnest horns but thickest body, R is medium and S has got thinnest body and thickest horns. I read somewhere, that they had one body shape and were trying to make 3 different guitars from it. P was quite easy, R as well, but they had problems with S, cause it was so thin, there wasn't enough space for jack or pickup selector, even for tremolo.
OK, but at least between the radius & sabre they are very different (never had a power). You can't tell from the pics. The feel is totally different. I mean, not different like "Paul vs. strat", but definitely worthy of separate names. And really, the base on strat, jackson soloist, rg, and Jem are all the same, too. But they're all different guitars - it's in the details.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, I didn't realize Jazz guys like Skolnick, and Gambale played the Saber series. For my next guitar I want something that can do Jazz as well as other styles well. Sounds like the S may be the way to go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
JESTER700 said:
OK, but at least between the radius & sabre they are very different (never had a power). You can't tell from the pics. The feel is totally different. I mean, not different like "Paul vs. strat", but definitely worthy of separate names. And really, the base on strat, jackson soloist, rg, and Jem are all the same, too. But they're all different guitars - it's in the details.
Yeah of course, they totally different. But the base is not the same on Soloist, Strat and RG or JEM. Look on the back curve on P, R, S, it's same. RG has different. Strat has big body, wide and short horns and a bit square body. But RG is slim, has got longer and thinner horns (older Yamaha RGX, e.g.821 has very similar body). And Solois has got shorter horns and shorter (parallel with neck) and wider (cross) body than RG (Yamaha Pacifica 821D has got very similar body). But except Strat (cause it's not superstrat), they are all superstrats which we love :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You guys are forgetting one key difference between the original Saber, Power and Radius models: Body woods.

Sabers were (and still are) mahogany. Power models were alder (the later 540PII models were basswood). Radius models were basswood.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.