Jem Ibanez Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know why does this happen? i come to practice, tune both guitars (ibby rga + Gibson LP) to pitch, then there's a two-hour or something of play time, guitars go packed into their cases. next evening, both are like +25 crnts sharp on all strings. do they f*cking grow at night?

it's not extyremely cold or extremely hot where the guitars are stored.

edit: the Edge pro equipped Ibby doesn't suffer from this

·
Vendor
26,302 Posts
Temperature has a lot to do with it, also humidity. You can play a guitar sharp within minutes as your hands warm it up.

·
Vendor
26,302 Posts
I play guitar sharp all the time. I'm not talking 25 cents sharp [although it's possible if the temp difference is enough], but sharp is sharp, 5 cents or 100.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i guess Rich is right. i tuned the guitar and by the end of rehearsal it was going very slightly sharp. and one more thing - now, when outside temperature / weather is a bit more stable, the "going sharp" effect started to fade away )) probably because the "start" and "end" temperarure difference (of guitar's neck) has diminished.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just saw this old thread ,but it is actual for me -
Rich is right 100% .
Let check it out my case : here in South Africa in the Summer different between day/night temperature is say 28*C vs 18*c = 10*C .
But in the Winter it is say 25* vs 5* C = 29*C !
Guess when I start to have tuning problems ?
Yes you're right - right now in the Winter , when different between day and night is almost 20 * degrees Celsius degrees .
So , I am tuning my guitar every day ,instead every 3-4 days as I use to do during Summer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wouldn't the strings expand more due to them being metal and then go flat?

Guitar physics :s
...well they would if there were no trussrod:

-the thermal expansion of steel strings is about twice that of wood, parallel to the grain.

So , I am tuning my guitar every day.
You may find that adjusting the trussrod is the fastest way to combat going flat or sharp due to temperature. Necks with less wood and more metal (ie Wizards) should be less susceptible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts