Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was doing some walking around the guitar store area down here, and i noticed in a couple places they had these Ibanez Jem Jr. (said in headstock), but they werent 555.... body was bright white, grip and claw were ok-ish, pickguard was plain w/b/w (no pelaroid) and it had all dot inlays all over the fretboard (no half vine)... only saw it behind the glass, but the pickups looked crap, too... and i thiiiiiink the bridge was something that looked like an edge but wasnt...

Now, what i was wondering is... could the dreaded 333s have reached these shores? anyone has pics of those?

anyway, i just wanted to share my... errr... disgust :lol:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Weird Jem Jr. sightings...

Maybe they felt this market was as cheap and f*cked up as Indonesia and the like, and so we got it...

Or, maybe these werent imported officially, saw these at a couple random stores, not at the official dealer's...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I couldnt say, i was late for work as it was, so i didnt go in to ask, but when i find out, ill let you all know :)

(bare in mind, prices tend to get pretty steep here...)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

marianozz said:
(bare in mind, prices tend to get pretty steep here...)
So I have heard.....just curious though....not that I would ever even begin to consider buying one:lol:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

personally i dont know what theyre playing at with the 555 let alone the 333, a signature model is one that is played by that player, not one that is a low budget version so u can pretend they play the same as you!!!!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

timi_h said:
personally i dont know what theyre playing at with the 555 let alone the 333, a signature model is one that is played by that player, not one that is a low budget version so u can pretend they play the same as you!!!!
I hear ya timi;)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

Ya know, you can say what you want about the 333, but at $270 it'd be a cheap way to do a custom JEM. New trem and some pickups, where else are you going to get a JEM body for $270 let alone a body and neck that I'm sure with some work could be made to play decently. Lets face it, even the cheapest lowest end Ibanez's can be made pretty decently playable with a little set up work. I do tech work at the local music store who sells Ibanez and I have yet to come across any Ibanez electric that couldn't be made playable with little effort.
The 555's were somewhat expensive for a non edge equipped guitar, but these guitars at $270 mean that realistically, you could buy a used edge and some used dimarzio's and have a pretty decent guitar for less than new Japanese RG prices.
So really, if you're looking at a guitar to customize, the 333 probably isn't all that bad of a way to go, they're certianly cheap enough.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

timi_h said:
Well, it's not like Ibanez is the only company doing this. Almost all the guitar manufactures do this, have the real thing, and then the low end models.
They wouldn't even sell signature models if there wasn't a vast market for that players guitar, and then they want to cater to the full market, not just those that can afford a high end guitar. Ibanez does it, ESP does it, Jackson does it, Gibson does it, PRS does it, etc etc.
When I was first learning guitar, I'd have given my eye teeth for a JEM, but I couldn't afford a $2000 guitar, nor would I have noticed any difference between a high end and a low end guitar. Had a 333 been available for a few hundred dollars, I'd have owned one proudly. At that time being 11 or 12 years old, Vai was simply my idol, I didn't even know what guitars I liked the feeling of better, in fact, the only reason I got an ibanez back then was because it's what Vai and Satch were using. Had nothing to do with the feeling. If I could have gotten a JEM333 over the cheapy RG I had I'd have been over the moon. It's really only now that manufactures are seeing this niche and filling it. The only thing I don't understand is how ANY manufacture can build and sell guitars that cheap! I can't even buy my woods for that little! LOL

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

littlegreenman said:
Well, it's not like Ibanez is the only company doing this. Almost all the guitar manufactures do this, have the real thing, and then the low end models.
They wouldn't even sell signature models if there wasn't a vast market for that players guitar, and then they want to cater to the full market, not just those that can afford a high end guitar. Ibanez does it, ESP does it, Jackson does it, Gibson does it, PRS does it, etc etc.
When I was first learning guitar, I'd have given my eye teeth for a JEM, but I couldn't afford a $2000 guitar, nor would I have noticed any difference between a high end and a low end guitar. Had a 333 been available for a few hundred dollars, I'd have owned one proudly. At that time being 11 or 12 years old, Vai was simply my idol, I didn't even know what guitars I liked the feeling of better, in fact, the only reason I got an ibanez back then was because it's what Vai and Satch were using. Had nothing to do with the feeling. If I could have gotten a JEM333 over the cheapy RG I had I'd have been over the moon. It's really only now that manufactures are seeing this niche and filling it. The only thing I don't understand is how ANY manufacture can build and sell guitars that cheap! I can't even buy my woods for that little! LOL
Well put LGM;)

Hey, what kind of wood is the body of the 333?? Alder?? Basswood???

·
Registered
462 Posts

I think having a low budget model is a really good idea IMHO.

I remembered the time when I first started playing guitar, how much I wanted a jem, how much time I spent staring into issues of guitar magazine just ogling at ibanez jems. But the thing that turned me away was of course the price. If a low priced jem like this was available back then, I would have definately got it.

I say we should embrace this jem333, yeah sure some might say that it has contaminated the bloodline of exclusiveness that surrounds jem guitars. We are all very proud owners, which of course includes myself. But think about the kids guys! :)

·
Registered
494 Posts

seriously
for that price...the guitar is totally worth it
its playable with a nice setup..it actually works pretty great

the only down side of being so cheap is just the hardwares n pups are crapper....it still bares an ibanez name and a nice body n neck work better thn no name knock offs...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

if i remember correctly the 333 was released to combat the even crappier forgeries that were springing up in the asian marketplace. These are apparently ok guitars but not anything too great when compared with a real jem.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.