Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
It is normal,
If we think to same thingy, it is screw that can go in or out and its purpose is to even string to string output.
If one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjusted output with that screw. Some pickups have one or both coils with non adjusting thingies like your midle pickup.

Answer to other question is that pickup cable can sometimes pull pickup down or push up. So make shure that pickup cable is free to move with pickup by opening back cover.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is normal,
If we think to same thingy, it is screw that can go in or out and its purpose is to even string to string output.
If one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjusted output with that screw. Some pickups have one or both coils with non adjusting thingies like your midle pickup.

Answer to other question is that pickup cable can sometimes pull pickup down or push up. So make shure that pickup cable is free to move with pickup by opening back cover.
Thanks. Is there a tutorial somehwere to help me how to do that?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Read it but it only talks about the screws that adjust the overall height and not those specific black nobs. Besides, they don't seem to have like a hole for a screwdriver
First advice. If you do not know what is allen key, or pole screw in humbucker,
it is better not to adjust it by yourself until you gain more experience. You can make more damage then benefit.

Here is tutorial.
Find the biggest allen key that can fit into the hole.
Turn clockwise to screw in or anticlockwise to screw out.
Plug your guitar to preferably clean sound with least amount of compresion and listen string to string volume. If most of the strings are about same level and one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjust it by this procedure.

But if I am at your place I would not bother.
Just play.
You have great guitar.
Find tabs of your favorite song that you dont know how to play.
And when you learn it, your guitar will sound much better the before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read it but it only talks about the screws that adjust the overall height and not those specific black nobs. Besides, they don't seem to have like a hole for a screwdriver
First advice. If you do not know what is allen key, or pole screw in humbucker,
it is better not to adjust it by yourself until you gain more experience. You can make more damage then benefit.

Here is tutorial.
Find the biggest allen key that can fit into the hole.
Turn clockwise to screw in or anticlockwise to screw out.
Plug your guitar to preferably clean sound with least amount of compresion and listen string to string volume. If most of the strings are about same level and one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjust it by this procedure.

But if I am at your place I would not bother.
Just play.
You have great guitar.
Find tabs of your favorite song that you dont know how to play.
And when you learn it, your guitar will sound much better the before.
I ended up figuring it out! I just didnt know the name of that part. I had a set of allen keys and was able to move it. I still don't know much of polepieces, but it seems that one has a function of angling the pickup. Could that be possible? (Ive been playing for years...this is just my first good guitar)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ended up figuring it out! I just didnt know the name of that part. I had a set of allen keys and was able to move it. I still don't know much of polepieces, but it seems that one has a function of angling the pickup. Could that be possible? (Ive been playing for years...this is just my first good guitar)
No, the pole pieces give the magnetic field a path to the strings (the magnet sits under the 2 coils and in-between the rows of pole screws). The pickup height is handled by the 2(usually 2) screws at the top and bottom(below the pickguard). Any tilt can be due to a few things(some pickups have 3 or 4 height screws that can also control tilt) including how the springs or foam sit under the pickup(most Ibanez models with pickups screwed directly into the body, will have 2 strips of foam under the pickup). Next time you have all the strings off, unscrew the 2 screws that are deep inside(where the pickguard has those small half-circle cutouts above and below the pickup) and lift the pickup out and all will become very clear. Most "hot" pickups use allen screws as the pole pieces, but some use a blade, and others(Gibson) use screws on one coil and slugs on the other. Do the different poles change the sound? I don't know. You might also check out youtube for some videos about humbucking pickups for more info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally did what you told me. The pickups springs and at least two pole-pieces where smashing the cables. That's why I couldn't lower them. I e-mail ibanez about it like three weeks ago but never got an answer. Should I worry?

I moved the cable and also put a bit of foam.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.