Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Would anyone happen to know how to really nail down the weird delay sounds used by Wes on tracks like Hot dog, Livin' It Up, Counterfeit, etc? I have got close to most songs by using Delay and chorus on my multi Fx.

Im having a hard time getting the sounds particularly from Hot dog however. It has kind of a weird techno type thing to it?

I've seen someone get real close using a Boss Digital Delay... which my processor does not have.

Any recommendations? Also, how to pinpoint the frequency would help. I'm not really into music theory nor do I have nearly enough time to study it so something in ms would be better.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, Wes use 2 Boss DD7 with slightly different settings for his clean parts depending on the song(one labeled Regular and one Slow), for Hot Dog (and Full Nelson) he adds a Envelope Filter (Q Tron) in front of these that gives it that quacky sound, basically a fixed wah.
Reverb he adds on Show Me What You Got and Take A Look Around.
On My Way he adds a Ring Modulation for the Intro and Verse but ditch it for Bridge and Outro, all pedals always in front of the delay in the chain. Most Songs are played with the Regular labeled one live (livin it up aswell, counterfeit I'm not sure right now), it's possible chorus was used to record Livin it up but its never used live.

You can look at his instagram there are quite a few Pictures of his big LB Board http://instagr.am/p/B3acZzgnYWv/ (like on picture 2 and 3, this "Reg" and "Roll" labeled are for distortion but the Reg setting is the same for clean except the Level is set more there) or do what I did back then and set it per ear (on their live performance of Take A Look Around 2011 Main Square Festival he hits before they play a few notes and let them ring out, that gave really a good example to set the settings on the pedal
), I'm also not into theory, frequencies and all that and only set it by the live performances which worked out well enough for me. By Counterfeit he picks quite fast in the intro and scratches sometimes on the strings or add side notes to it. By Livin it up he use stacatto technique (so hit the note short and not stay with the finger on it) its important not to forget the 3rd string on 14 fret to play 2x, many don't do this and it sounds off then. When you look here you see aswell there is less going on then what you actually hear due to repeats of the Pedal

Hope that somewhat helped.

I hang also a picture of his tinier rehearsal board on he recently posted a while back in his story, you see there the settings on Delay(even tho they are a bit less here than on the other board but I dont know how a DD8 behaves), Q Tron and Cf7 aswell.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts