Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so tommorow (or the day after) i'm thinking of trading some gear for a Mesa Quad. My question is should I run it in a wet/dry/wet configuration with my Mesa Mark III, or just A/B it for some ultimate channel switching options (a-la petrucci). What are some of the pro's and con's. The amp i'm going to be using when all this is done is going to be a Mosvalve 962, btw.

I'm wondering just how much "Mesa-ness" the Mosvalve is going to take away, or how the w/d/w config is going to perform. Will it add gain saturation or color the tone? I know i'll get great stereo imaging...I know with the A/B config i'll just get lots of channel options...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
... for simplicities sake:
Mark III > Cab 1
Quad + Mosvalve > Cab 2
A/B switch to select the two

you need a mixer for W/D/W somewhere:
Mark III slave out > Mixer > Mixer "mixed" output (pan -6) > Mosvalve > Cab 1
Quad FX main output > Mixer > Mixer "mixed" output (pan +6) >

that's one way you "blend" two amps; i think you'll need an A/B/Y switch rather than an A/B.

As for the Mosvalve 962... I had one many moons ago, was my first power amp actually and you're gonna lose out the "Mesa"-ness (i.e. the deep bass) but they're not bad solid state poweramps.

Personally, no pro or cons about whatever setup you go with, it's just a matter of how you setup everything else as a whole. There's nothing wrong with blending the two... though not quite sure what you get when you blend two similar sounding amp/preamps as one; let me know what comes out lol
I've actually tried hooking up my friends Mark III's using the slave out to my Mesa's 2:90 for shiggles... to top it off, deep modes on the Mark and 2:90 were activated; that was fun except the tone wasn't "useful" by any means :p

Reg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You could have the best of both worlds with the right MIDI setup and something like a Rocktron Patchmate 8 or GCX Audio Switcher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts