Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would guess the best preamp for Petrucci's tones would be a Tri-axis. That along with a 2:90 should get you pretty close (depending on what cabs you use and the guitars).

·
Banned
180 Posts
jp

You can get it damn near exact using a Pod pro and a Mesa Simulclass 2:90. One of my best friends is a jp finatic and he's running all Ibanez now (of course) a pod pro, dbx 166xl, bbe sonic maximizer, mesa simul 290. Into a 4x12 w/ celestion 75's. he's getting a mesa w/ vintage 30's though soon. Regardless if you play the cd and then play the song throug his rig it's pretty much dead on and a heck of a lot cheaper. You can get a pod pro and 290 used for less then a new tri axis.

·
Banned
180 Posts
yea

yea him and I could and that brings me to another point. You can hook the pod right into your computer. The only thing limiting it there is what software you use. I think the best thing is to test it out with that setup, or hear one of the 2 bands i named live and you know what I mean. I an really big on petrucci and I was going to buy a rectifier halfstack. I sat down and went back and forth from the Pod pro 2:90 to the real rectifier head and the POD sounded exactly the same with even more sustain, and it was a lot more quite. Then you add on to it you have 31 more amps and different effects. I add some delay for leads, and if you use the delay/flange you can make the guitar sound like a sitar which you hear on certain fear factory songs.

·
Banned
180 Posts
20/20

The 20/20 is ok but doesn't touch the 2:90, and nothing does. The 2/100 doesn't really even touch it. The 2:90 is specifically designed for guitar and has 3 modes as well as the simul class technology. it's running tubes in A/B and A class so you get this extremely warm sound with attack. You can get the 2:90's used for cheap on ebay and if you find them around @ shops. I got mine for only 550. and they are 1299 new. A Pod Pro is 699 new and dropped to 599 and you can get them for 2-300 something used depending on condition. I got a mint one for 360.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: 20/20

Ice said:
The 20/20 is ok but doesn't touch the 2:90, and nothing does. The 2/100 doesn't really even touch it. The 2:90 is specifically designed for guitar and has 3 modes as well as the simul class technology. it's running tubes in A/B and A class so you get this extremely warm sound with attack. You can get the 2:90's used for cheap on ebay and if you find them around @ shops. I got mine for only 550. and they are 1299 new. A Pod Pro is 699 new and dropped to 599 and you can get them for 2-300 something used depending on condition. I got a mint one for 360.
Actually they´re 1199.

I got a 2003 version, with the new design, really nice poweramp.

·
Banned
180 Posts
yea

1199-1299 depending on where you go. There' no "2003 model" either all the 2:90's are the same with the exception some came with different tubes, but you can pick which ones you get when you order it. Don't get the chinese 420's as they are extremely unreliable and will blow out your amp. Any that I've seen in stores new have the 430's in them now so you shouldn't worry about that unless you go used check them out and have a new set ready. If you do blow it out it's cheap to fix, the resistors are only 2-3 bucks and there's only 4 in the whole thing, 1 per each set of power tubes.

The 2:100 will not give you the same sound as the 2:90 because it's only class A/B and not simul class. The 2:100 is meant to give you the tone of the power section from a rectifier head.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: yea

Ice said:
1199-1299 depending on where you go. There' no "2003 model" either all the 2:90's are the same with the exception some came with different tubes, but you can pick which ones you get when you order it. Don't get the chinese 420's as they are extremely unreliable and will blow out your amp. Any that I've seen in stores new have the 430's in them now so you shouldn't worry about that unless you go used check them out and have a new set ready. If you do blow it out it's cheap to fix, the resistors are only 2-3 bucks and there's only 4 in the whole thing, 1 per each set of power tubes.

The 2:100 will not give you the same sound as the 2:90 because it's only class A/B and not simul class. The 2:100 is meant to give you the tone of the power section from a rectifier head.
All the GC´s sell it for 1199, so do Rudy´s and the LA outlet.

There´s a new 2:90 with a different design; I own one...

·
Banned
180 Posts
?

Looks like the only difference is the lights on the front of it. Nothing else is different on the mesa page. it's red instead of blue and it looks like the modes aren't all red, but I can't remember if they are all red on the originals.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: ?

Ice said:
Looks like the only difference is the lights on the front of it. Nothing else is different on the mesa page. it's red instead of blue and it looks like the modes aren't all red, but I can't remember if they are all red on the originals.
The didn´t update their site.

It looks like the new 2:50 with the switch leds (deep, 1/2 drive, modern)and those holes on the front panel aren´t opened. There´s a small iron screen behind it, so it´s impossible to look inside.

Same depth, same weight. Same tone too.

·
Banned
180 Posts
yea

I would be worried about bad ventilation if that's the case. It looks pretty cool though, I still love having th eblue light, but that's as easy as changing the bulb/glass piece.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Re: 20/20

Ice said:
The 2:90 is specifically designed for guitar...
What, and the rest of the Mesa poweramps are designed for keys?

As for the price varying "depending on where you go," Mesa fixes prices. Dealers can only discount used gear and closeouts when they lose their endorsement, which almost never happens- any dealer giving customers a "break" on mesa gear will very quickly no longer be a mesa dealer.

The 2:90 is a sweet poweramp by all accounts. But it's no "better" or "worse" than the 20/20, or anythign else of equivalent quality on the market; just different. whether or not it fits your needs better than anything else is totally another story.

Re: the Pod sounding exactly like a dual rectifier, i have yet to hear one dialed to sound "EXACTLY" like the modeled amp. Once again, different sounds. Maybe he liked the sounds he was getting out of it more than the DR, and it fit his needs better. But i have never run into a modeler that 100% nails the sound and feel of a given amp. I've heard some GREAT modeled tones (a guy over at GW FLOORED me with his modded version of the pod XT's EVH patch- took off the modulation, tweaked the EQ a bit, and in the context of a good mix, it sounded TOTALLY real), but no dead-on matches.

Of course, at the end of the day, "close enough" is still "Close enough." If you and he are happy, cool.

-D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: yea

Ice said:
I would be worried about bad ventilation if that's the case. It looks pretty cool though, I still love having th eblue light, but that's as easy as changing the bulb/glass piece.
The back is opened, and they´ve changed the jacks
and the instrument - line switch, also added a groung switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts