Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been answered before. I have bought my first JEM, a Jem JR, a fine pre-owned one from Reverb site with upgraded Floyd Rose and I recently installed EVO pups over the stock Matrix and have had a few frets dressed, neck and fingerboard examined thoroughly set and up by an experienced luthier/technician. Most of what I have read and researched imply that 9's are great for the JEM but being a bassist, it has been suggested that since I play hard, 10's might be more suitable. I am just starting studies on lead guitar after learning jazz chords and like the 9's for blues rock, type string bending but rethinking the gauge. Are you using 10's on any of your JEMS? How do you like them? Less fret buzz? And is it really necessary to redo a setup just by changing gauges from 9 to 10?

I bought the JR to see how I liked the neck, and at a decent cost being used-and I prefer it over a Strat type neck, LP, SG etc so I DO plan to acquire more JEM models as budget permits. It's a really a nice guitar and YouTube helped me take the leap. Also interesting that you can play the Blues on a JEM especially with amp modeling like Line 6 etc. It's a very bright guitar but I do manage to get a Les Paul, Bluesbreakers and Cream type tone for blues-rock solos. Thanks in advance. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I use 10s on my Jems, RGs, Universes etc. Every so often I switch one back to 9s but only out of curiosity! For my playing style 10s work better, although I have also got guitars set up with 11s and 12s depending on what I need them for on any given project.
Yes, you need to change the set up if you change gauge.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got .10's on all my guitars, including my JEM-FP, RG's and S-series and they're perfect for me. Just changed one of the S-series to .09's so I could sell it to a friend and it works just as well as the others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts