Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience would be appreciated (sorry for my bad english)

Oxydation ?

Something 's wrong ? immediately ? in a few times ?

I'd like to have one but not to have to keep it in a case, to play with it, not afraid of more than ordinaries potential damages.

thanks

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
a rg metal have the same paint a kind of metal.i don't have rust or oxidation on it.maybe from sweat,that could made it a bit lighter.but i don't know for sure.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
The S Geiger was made in Korea. There was a bit of controversy over it too as a result. The prototype was much higher quality with regards to the etching, and the neck inlay from memory. Rich did a write-up on it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
All im trying to say is if you can afford to pay $5000 on a guitar, that is only that expensive because of the limited edition tag and the custom graphics, then you can afford to buy it whether or not there are problems. If you want to buy a high quality ibanez that is for serious recording or playing then im sure there are better guitars than this one. The giger series are more for looks than quality and I should know cause I own one !!!!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Again you miss understand me, What im trying to say is that, any of the giger guitars arnt exactly top of the line guitars, they are usefull and look awesome. I bought my RG giger for the looks. I assume the S series, like the one you want, will be better quality, but for $5000 you could get a much better guitar. Thats all im saying

And if you have $5000 spare to buy a guitar and are considering the Giger S, then you must have money to waste because for $5000 you could buy another guitar without the extra graphics, of better quality, and have cash left over for effects or an AMP etc.....

Dude if your in love with the guitar because its got Giger graphics, just buy it already.... if the giger part doesn't mean anything to you, id say dont buy it....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I always thought it was so expensive, because it was plated (nickel or zink) in stead of painted (like the RG-metal or Jem90HAM were)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I always thought it was so expensive, because it was plated (nickel or zink) in stead of painted (like the RG-metal or Jem90HAM were)
okey...the j custom rg metal is from real metal plated material.its not a paint.it looks the same on the giger model.the jem 90th.is based on the rg metal.is the s giger a j custom?then it should be the same material and quality.and worth that price

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
Does anybody here actually have experience with an RGMetal, because I'm not aware it was supposed to be "coated" or anything other than painted, just like a JEM90.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I thought the same thing Rich, and I knew a guy that had a Jem90 and he said the paint would rub off on his clothes....

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
fact RG metal = painted flat nickel over sandblasted body using template
fact Jem90HAM = painted neon ice blue over sandblasted body using template (identical pattern)

Both use regular paint, clearly visible in runs and build-up near the edges or on the sides (which are *not* template etched).

@brianxtr
neither the RG-Metal or Jem90HAM is "real" metal, both are just paint. The smoothness of the RG-Metal and colour can easily fool you. I know you have/had one so have another look.

Conjecture Giger-S = sandblasted using Giger template, electroplated nickel finish. At least, that's what the Giger was supposed to be...but it didn't actually deliver:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58195&highlight=Giger

@Rich, you had one Giger-S, but you weren't impressed, can you confirm anything about the finish or the process used? You say it was polished metal:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58195&page=4&highlight=Giger
It doesn't look like paint, but that's no guarantee ;) How about the back and the control cavity covers? Any runs on the sides, overspray in the cavities?

@jb4674
and I knew a guy that had a Jem90 and he said the paint would rub off on his clothes....
Not quite true, it's the other way around, the HAM will "eat" through clothing; cotton, wool etc. Nothing will stand up to the rough finish on a HAM. It will even scar denim. It will not turn a white shirt blue, however, if that's what you meant.

The RG-metals, that I've handled, were smoother, but even though all HAMs and RG-Metals use the same template the actual finish will vary in roughness.

I'm guessing that due to the numbers of HAM produced, they reduced blasting time, relative to the RG-Metal, causing a much rougher finish, which is also a lot more clingy to clothing.

Sorry to go on and on about HAM vs Metal, but these things seem to confuse a lot of people. And S-Giger prototype vs S-Giger production is a whole new can of worms :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
It's been out for 10 years and this thread is the first time I've ever heard it described as an atomized metal finish like the Giger. I would think it would have been common knowledge years ago if that was truely the case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts