Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty. lately Ive been thinking of maybe getting a new amp. I have a Legacy but I'm starting not to like the tone as much anymore. To midrangy. Anyways so I was wondering:
What amps do you guys use? List yours for help or just list yours for fun, I really don't care I just really want to know what other people play so that I can draw ideas form that.

What amps do you recommend? I am thinking of an amp that has more gain than I'll need, yet has a great clean channel. I would like a Passion and Warefare Vai sound. Something like that. Oh also I can buy used and less than a $1000. Thank you so much.

P.S. Or if you can convince me to stay with the Legacy that would be awesomt too!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Given to Fly said:
What amps do you guys use? List yours for help or just list yours for fun, I really don't care I just really want to know what other people play so that I can draw ideas form that.

What amps do you recommend? ...
MESA FRIGGIN BOOGIE ! ! !

I have a Studio 22 and a triaxis, I love BOTH.
You'll really hafta try things out your self though to see what suits you... go piss off some music store workers. ;)

Bamm

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap! Actually I forgot to add this to the topic. I don't like Mesa/Boogie. Sorry I just don't really like the sound. Maybe it's because I've heard it so much but it justs seems to sound real sterile. But maybe I will give them another chance. 8O

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If you'll be giving them another chance, try Mesa Triaxis Lead1 Green and Yellow and Lead2 Green, Yellow and Red. They don't sound sterile by any means. Or if you prefer combos, try Mark IIC+ or IV. Be careful with bass knob when trying them out, though. Their tone stack goes before distortion (as opposed to Triaxis Lead1 Red and Mesa Rectifier), so too much bass will make it sound farty. None of them will give you a copy of Vai tone.

Egnater amps and preamps sound good too, and they can get you pretty close to that PAW tone. I own a TOL 100 head myself.

The thing is, if you think that Vai tone is in his amps, then you're misleading yourself. Vai sounds like himself through whatever piece of gear he plays, even digital stuff and synthesizers. You can buy yourself a $3.5K Bogner half stack and still not sound like him. You better decide for yourself whether you relly want to sound like someone else. Even if you play really good, the remaining 10% of difference will be annoying as hell if you decide to go "carbon copy" path.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if I could have Vai's tone I would probably give a kidney. But I agree with you 100% his tone is not just in his amp and I know that. I'm not trying to get his exact tone I was just using PAW as an example of type of tone. But thanks I will check out Egnater.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you don't like Mesa tone, perhaps it's because you haven't tried the right Mesa! :) I despise the rectifier sound, because it's way too overused these days. However, I use both Nomad 45 1x12 and Mark IV 1x12 combos (had a Triaxis/2:90 for a while too), and will probably never own another amp that isn't a Mesa. Both are knob-turner's dreams, and the Mark adds on with probably a dozen tone-shaping switches. They are the most versatile amps I've ever seen (except for Kevan's Cruise), but it takes time to read the manual and fully understand how all the controls work and interoperate with each other.

Between the two, I think the Nomad has "heavier" tones, and the Mark has "creamier" tones, if that makes any sense. Both are 3 channel--the Nomad has a solo boost, but the Mark has the 5 band EQ (which I use as a solo boost). Both have reverb, Celestion speakers, and more tubes than you can shake a stick at.

Both can be scored for under a grand used. Go check 'em out, but be sure to browse the manual on Mesa's website first so you can figure out how to get the optimal sound. My gut feel... the Mark would probably give you a more Vai-like tone than the Nomad.

--B

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah if you have trouble with tweaking a Mesa definitely consult the manual. I have a Mark IV combo as well, the manual is excellent, it explains everything about the controls and give some good sample settings to start from. That said, Mesas aren't for everybody, i'm sure. If you've tried them and don't like them there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I actually like reading Mesa manuals. They make me want to turn some more knobs and find some more tones every time I read them. They can also provoke excessive drooling in someone who doesn't own one of their amps. :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Marshall Artist 3203, 30 watt 2 chnl. hybrid (tube output, SS pre). I wouldn't recommend it because the clean chnl. blows. Just thought I'd chime in for fun.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well, i use a POD 2.0 into a Laney LC30.

I dont like the Pod THAT MUCH on its own or the Laney on its own, but together they're great.

BTW - I think you'd be interested in investigating the Mesa Roadking, just read about it and try it out. I think u'll find that u'll like it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use and strongly recommend Engl amps.

I use the top of the line Engl Savage Special Edition with matching 4x12 cab and it's THE best amp i've played so far (including Bogner and Diezel!). 4 channels, midi-interface, pentode/triode switching, etc. There are 12 sounds switchable with a push of a midi-pedal-buuton :)
All channels are excellent.

And I really don't like MESA either :) Way to nasal for my taste...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I think Vai used Marshalls and Carvins for PAW, I'm sure others here know exactly which ones. Whether they are stock or not is more the question. I sort of gave up on finding a stock amp that sounded like I wanted so I bought a 3 channel Marshall that got me close, then had it modded to add what was missing and improve its tone at lower volume levels.

Buying used and then adding the mods to the price, I spent about as much as I would have on a new TSL Head, but this one will sound exactly like I want it to. I don't have the amp back yet, should be in on Wednesday. I'd be happy to let you know how close they were able to get to my requested sounds if you want.

I have also owned Rivera heads and they were very good, although a little hard to come by these days. Riveras sound very different from boogies, more of a Marshall growl. The M and S series sound more like modded marshalls, and they get it a lower volumes than your standard Marshall head. They'll crush skulls at high volume though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I play a line 6 Pod Pro and its all i ever wanted :) line 6 makes great things specially for the price and the versatility they offer. i would love to have a couple of mark IV's with 4 4x12's but money is quite hard to come by so line 6 it is :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
metalmarty said:
I use and strongly recommend Engl amps.

I use the top of the line Engl Savage Special Edition with matching 4x12 cab and it's THE best amp i've played so far (including Bogner and Diezel!). 4 channels, midi-interface, pentode/triode switching, etc. There are 12 sounds switchable with a push of a midi-pedal-buuton :)
All channels are excellent.

And I really don't like MESA either :) Way to nasal for my taste...
Are JP's tones too nasal for your taste? :D

What kind of speaker and what kind of pickup are you using? The only case when I heard Mesas being "nasal" is when I played Tone Zone into Subway Rocket with stock speaker. Swapping Tone Zone to Evolution or The Breed changes things dramatically. Switching to the external 2x12 cabinet with G12H30 makes the sound of this amp absolutely brutal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I recently just went back to using the good old Peavey 5150 combo + a 5150 4x12. Kind of odd having a 4x12 with the combo but who cares, I like the sound and it looks cool. :)
Every time I look at it the theme to "2001 A Space Oddessy" plays in my head.

I wouldn't know what amp to reccomend so I would just say maybe try some pedals in front of the Legacy. I just picked up a Boss OD-2 turbo overdrive(for $15 in a pawnshop). In front of my 5150 it really seems to smooth the gain out while adding a ton more. It added a nice subtle change to the tone that I really like. Also, the 5150 seemed a little to midrangy to me and I threw a Boss GE-7 eq in the effects loop and it seemed to smooth the mids out really nicely.

...my $.02

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Gresh said:
I think Vai used Marshalls and Carvins for PAW, I'm sure others here know exactly which ones.
I'm no big Vai expert, but I've always thought that he used Bogner Ecstacy (which is pretty much Marshall circuit-wise with lots of different modes and tweaks) and Egnater MICA back then. And I doubt that the Carvins he uses nowadays are the same vanilla Carvins you can buy at carvin.com. Guitar gods are very picky about their tone. There's got to be a couple of mods. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agrre with the Engl advice. Both Savage and Sovereign are great amps. I like very much Hughes and Kettner Triamp, and of course a Marshall 30Th. Soldano makes very good amps too.
Vai used JCM 800´s for PAW (modded). :wink:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts