Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s kind of funny, be we spend so much time talking about our guitars, but so little discussing our amps. When I started playing in 1983, my first guitar was an Ibanez RS 100 and my amp was a Peavey Decade with an 8 inch speaker. Both the amp and the guitar were pretty awful.

About 6 months into my guitar playing journey, my Dad was listening outside my door while I was ripping a real easy Clapton solo, just playing with the record. My Dad came in and said “I guess your gonna need a better guitar.” Clapton was my Dad’s favorite. When Christmas rolled around I got my first quality electric guitar, an 82 Strat, and a Fender Dual Showman Reverb. I was in heaven.

Nobody at my school had equipment like that. That guitar and amp were all I used for the next 20 or so years. After 20 years I wore out the Strat, cracking the neck in four places and the amp was just not what I needed anymore. I got into Marshalls, Peavey VTM’s and Vox AC 30’s.

It seems funny now, that I used what I did for so long, but these days I am using Mesa/Boogie when playing out with other people. I have a Mesa/Boogie Mark V 25 that I use with a 12 inch, single speaker cab and a Mesa/Boogie F30 1x12 combo. When I got the Mesa’s,I traded in a Marshall Satriani head and 1960A cab. My back finally being the deciding factor in the quest to ditch the monstrous and heavy amps.

There is nothing like a good tube amp, but for practice at home I play through an Orange Crush 35 RT. I have never heard another SS amp that sounds as tube like as the Orange. I use it to save on tubes in the Mesa’s. I’ve also though of buy an Orange Crush CR120 2x12 combo for gigs. Again, Orange is the only solid state amp that I’ve ever liked the sound of. Great high gain amps.

What are you boys n girls using for amps these days? Here are a couple of pics of mine.
Musical instrument Audio equipment Bottle Gas Wood

My Mark V 25
Communication Device Radio Office equipment Output device Electronic instrument

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Generally a Marshall JVM410 or JVM410JS, but I completely agree with you about the weight! For small gigs I have a Victory V30 that sounds glorious, and a few times I've gone direct with an AxeFX.

·
Registered
Ibanez AZ 2204 SFB
7 Posts
I have a Laney LC 30 that I've used a lot for the past 8 years. Switched to Line 6 Helix for the past 2 years but started to miss that real tube sound. Just ordered a Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb.

I've done gigs with an Orange Crush and they sound phenomenal for a solid state.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally a Marshall JVM410 or JVM410JS, but I completely agree with you about the weight! For small gigs I have a Victory V30 that sounds glorious, and a few times I've gone direct with an AxeFX.
I had both of those heads. The JVM 410JS was the Marshall head I regret having sold. It was quite heavy though. I really liked the noise gates vs reverb.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Laney LC 30 that I've used a lot for the past 8 years. Switched to Line 6 Helix for the past 2 years but started to miss that real tube sound. Just ordered a Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb.

I've done gigs with an Orange Crush and they sound phenomenal for a solid state.
Yeah, I don’t really want to drag out my most expensive stuff. But the Orange Crush 35RT with a 10 inch speaker isn’t big enough to gig, unless they mic the thing. Which model of Crush did you have?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got one of these.
Brown Product Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle

It's a small Blackstar valve amp that runs off a KT88 tube. The weak part of these is the speaker but mine is upgraded to a 12" celestion creamback which performs really well. I usually run it clean and shape the tone with the OBNE Fault OD that has 2 gain stages and a powerful EQ..

Back when I used to gig a lot our old practice place had a JCM800 on a 4x12. It can't compete with that... But when I want a little of that sort of flavour I use my JHS @ (home-made version)...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The JS is by far the most versatile amp I have ever owned. Just wish there was a 50w version retaining all the features but lighter!
Hey, I’m wondering what @Fowleri is using for amplification, and @ruscio too. I didn’t like the reverb on the JVM 410. It sounded sterile and fake. So for me the JS was better. I really like my Mark V 25. It is the most versatile amp I’ve ever owned. I can get Vox, Marshall, MK II, Triple Rec, and Fender cleans out of it. The learning curve is rather steep on the Mark V 25 though. It’s a tweakers delight.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Hey, I’m wondering what @Fowleri is using for amplification, and @ruscio too. I didn’t like the reverb on the JVM 410. It sounded sterile and fake. So for me the JS was better. I really like my Mark V 25. It is the most versatile amp I’ve ever owned. I can get Vox, Marshall, MK II, Triple Rec, and Fender cleans out of it. The learning curve is rather steep on the Mark V 25 though. It’s a tweakers delight.
Always been tempted by one, mainly the 35, but Mesa stuff is hideously expensive in the UK. Still have my Triaxis 2:90 rack set up for when I crave Mesa sounds but that weighs more than I am prepared to take to gigs!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think my next amp is going to be the full size, 3 channel Mark V Head and a 4x12 cab @Algiman. At least the big cabs have wheels on them. Would be great to have it for home use with a drummer for rehearsals. Overkill for small clubs and churches.

I’m just waiting to see if Gibson will run Mesa into the ground, now that they own Mesa. I hope the quality won’t suffer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started out in the 80s with an Ibanez GX30, which was pretty awful. Next was a used Hiwatt 100, which died pretty soon. Then followed a Marshall 100W with 1 cabinet, which I traded for a Fender Reverb Deluxe when my band fell apart. 25 years later I traded the still broken Hiwatt for a new Tele.
With Tinnitus, a band is out of the question, so I only play at home over a Marshall MG30 and lately mostly over the computer while recording,

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
My main amp these days is an Orange Jim Root #4 Terror head, I run it into my old Kustom KGA65 amp, which I've wired in jacks to disconnect the amp and the speaker, so I can use it as a cabinet, but also have a backup amp if something goes wrong with the Orange. Gigged with that since 2016.

Prior to that (and I still own it), I gigged a first gen Blackstar HT-5. Kickass amp, and even worked fine un-miced in a small venue. Played it on the dirty channel, using the guitar's volume knob to clean up the tone when needed. These are killer sounding amps, and I still very much enjoy playing through it too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mm, I've got a Marshall AVT50 which I've had since they came out, so it's been a while. It's a decent practice/bedroom amp, and you can get them pretty cheap these days. They came with some kind of Celestion speaker, I can't remember what, something specifically made for the series of amps. I know the first generation Valvestates are well thought of (and played a role in the Scandinavian Death Metal tone), no idea how people feel about these.

I use mine in conjunction with a treble booster, à la some British guitarists of ye olde days, which gives a fatter, more sustainy sound.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just want an axe fx 3 if possible lol i live in an apartment so those big valve amps are big no

im just waiting for axe fx 4 to come out one day and then I’ll buy the 3 I’m not desperate to have it

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've had this thing for a little over a month now. It's glorious... Never had an amp with so much clarity in my life. It's also the loudest 30 watt I have ever been around, It's ridiculous! The clean, church and overdrive channels hit all the sweet spots... It's like having all the holy grail amps in one. Fender cleans, classic Plexi gain and classic saturated high gain. It has more gain than I would ever use as well... And even when the gain is cranked way high... The clarity of each string stands out. The hype is so real haha
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas

·
Registered
483 Posts
Line 6 Helix straight into mixing desk. I do have a Cornford Hellcat I used at home but it started making screeching noises and not transmitting guitar signal, not got around to getting it fixed. The Helix is incredible anyway so it's also not like I have a real need for an amp right now, never thought I'd be saying that as I used to be the biggest tube snob.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Line 6 Helix straight into mixing desk. I do have a Cornford Hellcat I used at home but it started making screeching noises and not transmitting guitar signal, not got around to getting it fixed. The Helix is incredible anyway so it's also not like I have a real need for an amp right now, never thought I'd be saying that as I used to be the biggest tube snob.
I've seen you play, someone at your levels should have Axe fx, 3 bro, maybe we should a fund raising?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've seen you play, someone at your levels should have Axe fx, 3 bro, maybe we should a fund raising?
The Helix is in my opinion just as good and a lot easier to get repaired or replaced in the UK. No need for any fund raising, I love my current rig, I love my Cornford Hellcat too but I haven't used it live for maybe 5 years so getting it fixed is low priority. Axe Fx 3 is fine too, has a lot of processing headroom but I have all my sounds dialled in perfectly with the Helix and switching units would just be more work for what is a sidegrade for my uses.

Best thing about the Helix for me is it's a floor unit with the exact same functionality/power as the rack unit, I can have my rig setup in about a minute and only have to carry 1 bag (the Helix carry case which is amazingly well designed) + my guitar case(s). Couldn't really be more happy with it overall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts