Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s kind of funny, be we spend so much time talking about our guitars, but so little discussing our amps. When I started playing in 1983, my first guitar was an Ibanez RS 100 and my amp was a Peavey Decade with an 8 inch speaker. Both the amp and the guitar were pretty awful.

About 6 months into my guitar playing journey, my Dad was listening outside my door while I was ripping a real easy Clapton solo, just playing with the record. My Dad came in and said “I guess your gonna need a better guitar.” Clapton was my Dad’s favorite. When Christmas rolled around I got my first quality electric guitar, an 82 Strat, and a Fender Dual Showman Reverb. I was in heaven.

Nobody at my school had equipment like that. That guitar and amp were all I used for the next 20 or so years. After 20 years I wore out the Strat, cracking the neck in four places and the amp was just not what I needed anymore. I got into Marshalls, Peavey VTM’s and Vox AC 30’s.

It seems funny now, that I used what I did for so long, but these days I am using Mesa/Boogie when playing out with other people. I have a Mesa/Boogie Mark V 25 that I use with a 12 inch, single speaker cab and a Mesa/Boogie F30 1x12 combo. When I got the Mesa’s,I traded in a Marshall Satriani head and 1960A cab. My back finally being the deciding factor in the quest to ditch the monstrous and heavy amps.

There is nothing like a good tube amp, but for practice at home I play through an Orange Crush 35 RT. I have never heard another SS amp that sounds as tube like as the Orange. I use it to save on tubes in the Mesa’s. I’ve also though of buy an Orange Crush CR120 2x12 combo for gigs. Again, Orange is the only solid state amp that I’ve ever liked the sound of. Great high gain amps.

What are you boys n girls using for amps these days? Here are a couple of pics of mine.
Musical instrument Audio equipment Bottle Gas Wood

My Mark V 25
Communication Device Radio Office equipment Output device Electronic instrument

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally a Marshall JVM410 or JVM410JS, but I completely agree with you about the weight! For small gigs I have a Victory V30 that sounds glorious, and a few times I've gone direct with an AxeFX.
I had both of those heads. The JVM 410JS was the Marshall head I regret having sold. It was quite heavy though. I really liked the noise gates vs reverb.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Laney LC 30 that I've used a lot for the past 8 years. Switched to Line 6 Helix for the past 2 years but started to miss that real tube sound. Just ordered a Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb.

I've done gigs with an Orange Crush and they sound phenomenal for a solid state.
Yeah, I don’t really want to drag out my most expensive stuff. But the Orange Crush 35RT with a 10 inch speaker isn’t big enough to gig, unless they mic the thing. Which model of Crush did you have?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The JS is by far the most versatile amp I have ever owned. Just wish there was a 50w version retaining all the features but lighter!
Hey, I’m wondering what @Fowleri is using for amplification, and @ruscio too. I didn’t like the reverb on the JVM 410. It sounded sterile and fake. So for me the JS was better. I really like my Mark V 25. It is the most versatile amp I’ve ever owned. I can get Vox, Marshall, MK II, Triple Rec, and Fender cleans out of it. The learning curve is rather steep on the Mark V 25 though. It’s a tweakers delight.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think my next amp is going to be the full size, 3 channel Mark V Head and a 4x12 cab @Algiman. At least the big cabs have wheels on them. Would be great to have it for home use with a drummer for rehearsals. Overkill for small clubs and churches.

I’m just waiting to see if Gibson will run Mesa into the ground, now that they own Mesa. I hope the quality won’t suffer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow man, hope it’s a simple fix. I love the sound of Marshall, but I find the durability of Mesa hard to match. I still want another Marshall JVM though. I will probably get a 50 watt next time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a couple of amps myself. I have an early Mark IVa combo with an additional thiele cab, so 2 x EVM 12s in that. I have an old '80 Acoustic G100T-112 which is another 80 pound /100watt tube combo with an EVM in it. I have a Hartke Hydrive bass amp, again a combo, which is 250 watts driving 2 10" Hartke speakers with those metal cones, and finally a '68 50 Watt Fender Bassman head pushing a 2x12 cabinet loaded with V30s. I used to run my 7VWH into an AX8 (which I still have) then Mark, but usually now I run directly into the Acoustic with no effects and one of my hollowbodies or the occasional Telecaster.

The Acoustic looks every day of it's 41+ years old in this pic, but sounds amazing 🤣

I dodge your quarter stack Boogie set up. I need to order a straight Boogie cab to go with my MK V 25 head and angled cab, so I can stack em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts