Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re posting this in a more appropriately named thread. This for a HSH set up using Evolutions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
"Originally Posted by benhal9
I still need to buy caps for vollume and tone pots. Any advice here? what size should I get. Does anyone know what Vai uses? "

You need a cap for the tone only.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Check Ibanez's website for a Jem wiring diagram. Off of the top of my head, there's a 330 pF cap on the volume control for a the treble bleed circuit. I don't have tone controls in my guitars so I'm afraid I don't know what value cap they use for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did a little off site research and found very little so I went with some best guess info type thingy and ordered a Sprague 0.022uf 400v orange drop 225P polyester film for the tone and a mica bleed capacitor for volume.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jem uses 330pf (picofarad) on the volume and .022uf (microfarad) on the tone pot. You dont have to use 400v caps.....the pickups output is in millivolts. Silver mica caps are well regarded in the tube amp community and so are the metallized polyester. Sprague are all i use in my tube amps (I build my own) as far as the tone circuits are concerned. Never had a failure of any of their caps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know what the difference in quality would be for the 225p as compared to the 330p? And don't say 105p! lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
330pf would allow higher frequencies to pass vs. the 225pf. if you ran the 225pf you would notice your guitar's tone to be bassier sounding(more of the higher frequencies rolled off) than with the 330pf installed.

i would give you a link to check out for reference....but again...the lame 20post count min to post links..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts