Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like a silly question, I know, but what color is my RG3120? It seems clear to me that it's not a TW. But what is it?

Here it is under flourescent lights. It's gray.

Here is the exact same guitar 2 minutes later and 10 feet away from the previous picture, under incandescant lights. It's purple. What the hell?

(I'm glad this difference showed up with the camera, I was sort of afraid it was all in my head.)

Ah, crap, the purple picture seems to be playing mr. snufaluphagous. It's fine on my computer but somehow photobucket is messing with it. You can see it loading, but sometimes (often) it disappears before completing.

To be clear, there are not two different guitars, this is one guitar. I resized the "purple" pic e to make it a little smaller and now it seems to be working.

·
Registered
157 Posts
??????????????!!!!!!!!

I've never seen anything similar on a 3120!

as far as I know, the colours, other than TW, are red and VV (vintage violin)

what the hell is that one?!?!?

maybe you own a "singularity" in the 3120, lucky you!

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I remember correctly they had a run of trans black RG3120's, back around the time when the "texas prestige" were made, perhaps yours is one of the twelve or so that were supposedly made (the purple tone in the second picture would seem to confirm some sort of trans black stain).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soloist said:
If I remember correctly they had a run of trans black RG3120's, back around the time when the "texas prestige" were made, perhaps yours is one of the twelve or so that were supposedly made (the purple tone in the second picture would seem to confirm some sort of trans black stain).
This jives with what one of the guitar center employees said, that there were only 12 made with that finish. (though the guy who said this hadn't actually seen my guitar, I was just describing it to him, and so I didn't really believe him, or didn't take it too seriously at least.) I bought it from Guitar Center on Westheimer in Houston in August or Sep. of 2000. There were a couple TWs at the store the day I bought this one, and I went with this one instead only because it wasn't so "flashy," and because I liked the way it played. Guess I did good. Well, it's already in "player" condition, so I guess I just keep playin' it.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
It only changes color in the picture like that, right? Not in real life :lol: ? TW should look something like

Regards

André

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fettouhi said:
It only changes color in the picture like that, right? Not in real life :lol: ?
Actually, it does change like that in real life (though the picture does exaggerate the effect a little bit. I could probably correct it to match "real life" by using the white balance control o the camera, but the effect is definitely noticeable even with the naked eye.) That's why I took a picture, because it's so weird.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It does look a little like SLK; however my bet is still on trans black. The reason for this is because the true SLK's had center abalone dots and JPM switching (and I am pretty sure were never available here in the U.S). By the way, I have often thought that the late 1997 to late 1998 3120's actually used the SLK stain, perhaps left over from the single year production RG1702SLK; the color on the earlier models seems consistantly darker than the post 1999 TW models, I know moderate variations can usually be explained by wood/stain differences but most recent TW's seem to have an altogether different hue of blue. Just curious, Ferrous Lepidoptera, what is the serial number on the 3120?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ferrous Lepidoptera said:
Seems like a silly question, I know, but what color is my RG3120? It seems clear to me that it's not a TW. But what is it?

Here it is under flourescent lights. It's gray.

Here is the exact same guitar 2 minutes later and 10 feet away from the previous picture, under incandescant lights. It's purple. What the hell?

(I'm glad this difference showed up with the camera, I was sort of afraid it was all in my head.)

Ah, crap, the purple picture seems to be playing mr. snufaluphagous. It's fine on my computer but somehow photobucket is messing with it. You can see it loading, but sometimes (often) it disappears before completing.

To be clear, there are not two different guitars, this is one guitar. I resized the "purple" pic e to make it a little smaller and now it seems to be working.
Nice! ;)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The bridge on the top is chrome and on the bottom it's gold too... you SURE it's the same guitar?

That makes it literally a 2-tone!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts