Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its an alder body rg570ct right now i have the stock v7 s1 v8 in them and even with those it sounds great but i believe the potential of this guitar is amazing and with good pickups upgrade it can do better. i love rock and while i hear to my ear seymour duncan is better at not being as hairy as dimarzio for rock and the type of music i like mainly joe satriani, and steve vai, pgm dimarzio's sound like the way. its an h-s-h pup setup guitar: her are my dimarzio selection.

neck pup: paf joe

middle pup: virtual vintage heavy blues 2

bridge pup: super 3. though i am kinda undecisive between super 3 and super distortion maybe some can help me finalize that one.

what do you think of my choices? any better recomendations? i like my guitar to reach its potential and to be very versitile in style and tone for rock and shredding and a bit of blues but not the main priority. but yet still play my favorite shredders song well too and not sound awkward. do those sound like the right choices?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why is it bad with 24 frets thats the best pickup i have heard yet. matt aub uses it in falling water with an rg550 thats a 24 fret guitar and it sound perfect. why would more frets make it sound any worse? and true velvet on its own at its best sounds really bad. i like my middle pickup but after listening closer to my bridge pickup i am going to do some more research on it i really dont like either of my choices yet i think. though i am really curious how the paf joe is the best neck pickup choice? please explain more

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok here is now my evalutation of choices and reconsideration

neck: still paf joe until someone can explain why its not the best for my alder body guitar. its not just because i am satch fan it just sounds the best overall to what i can tell.

middle single pickup: virtual vintage heavy blues 2

bridge pickup: i changed my mind to the tone zone it seems to be the best.

so now please tell me what you think of my choices and what i should consider to change and why keep in mind my guitar is alder body wood and its not basswood.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also no way true velvets beat the vintage heavy blues 2 they arent even better then the fs-1 if non hum cancelling is what you telling me to get then i would get the fs-1 though mine is hsh. also if your saying i should get very clean in the middle then i would just get area 67's those are the cleanest. the true velvets are so clean but yet not the cleanest they just have no character they just come in second in clean and suck every where else.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am not trying to make an arguement but i am not an expert at all and i know it subjective but i just want some advice and explanation why whats the best for my guitar. from all the research i have done these sound the best when listening to other artist with alder body guitars play with these in that position of there guitar so thats where i am getting my info though i dont know how they will sound together like in position 2 and 4.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
thats not a set I would consider.
paf joe is great for 22 fret guitars but not the same in 24 frets
So paf joe knows there are 2 more frets ???!!!
LOL
Well after using almost all dimarzio mid and high gain humbuckers,I chose Evos as the best ever.
It blends what all others have wich I like.
Evo bridge and neck to me are the best.
About your set up I don't like it but as we all know tastes are personal so why do you care what strangers think about it?
We don't have the same ears,even the same tastes.
You have to try everything in your life and have your own opinion.
God bless differences.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So paf joe knows there are 2 more frets ???!!!
LOL
Well after using almost all dimarzio mid and high gain humbuckers,I chose Evos as the best ever.
It blends what all others have wich I like.
Evo bridge and neck to me are the best.
About your set up I don't like it but as we all know tastes are personal so why do you care what strangers think about it?
We don't have the same ears,even the same tastes.
You have to try everything in your life and have your own opinion.
God bless differences.
i agree it is a stupid question overall its subjective. what do you mean paf joe knows there are two more frets???!!!

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Your question it isn't stupid but it's pointless cause no matter what people say,you have to try stuff and get your own opinion cause at the end what matters is your own opinion.
That guy said paf joe is good for 22 frets but not for 24 frets so I asked if paf joe knows if a guitar has 22 or 24 frets cause it's a nonsense.And please don't tell me 2 frets more will modify how paf joe HEAR the strings LOL
People love myths about everything,including woods,pups whatever.
How in the world a pup could sound different because of 2 more frets?
It's not rocket science it's just a magnet HEARING the strings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah well just listen to the that guy matt aub on facebook and all his songs. thats his main neck pickup in his main guitar the rg550. he is amazing. especially the song falling water is the one that really shows this neck pickup off. and correct me if i am wrong but i believe the rg550 is a 24 fret guitar so yeah i doubt they made a pickup that only works for a certain amount of frets lol. the differences in frequencies of 2 frets is nearly nothing it would be very stupid and hard to make an electronic stop responding right after that.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
I see but what makes a pup sound different is moving it away or closer to the bridge,closer will gives more treble and away more mids,far away more bass.
You can make a neck with 28,30 frets but keeping pups in the same distance of the bridge won't change the way they sound.
And even if you change their position still is not a HUGE difference like I won't buy this or that pup because they sound better with 22 or 24 frets.
I really don't think Satch or any players care about it.You play the guitar and if it's sounding cool,ok.
I never saw somebody saying hey this or that guitar has 22 or 24 frets cause their pups are sounding different.
Maybe Stevie Austin could notice that difference lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i agree 6 fingers thats why i would put this in the neck not the bridge lol. i did not ask this question because i had my mind made up jaden. i asked it because i expected people to give me a indepth reason why for the songs i like these will not work or why they will. not just this is better and the only reason they say why is this which in the end doesnt even make sense lol.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would go with an Air Norton in the neck position and a ToneZone in the bridge. I would also wire them so they can coil split. A lot of versatility with this combo!
Don't forget. The sound any guy gets is not only the pickups. The rest of the gear and especially his hands/technique/ability make the greatest effect on the sound!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts