Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have traded off or Sold a few guitars in the last couple of weeks. I am fine tuning my cache of electric guitars so that I only have what are essential (to me) guitars to keep. Clear a few out/get a few more in.

Here’s a pic of what my collection looked like 3 weeks ago…
Property Window Picture frame Musical instrument Wood

I put the guitars above into racks so they would be easily accessible. You can see the cases that they were in on the upper right of the picture. A couple of weeks ago, I did a cash trade deal with the local GC. I sold an Ibanez AZES31, Ibanez Jem Premium, Epiphone ES335, and an Epi SG Modern.

Now my list is as follows…

Kramer
I have two. They are the Polka Dot Nightswan and red Pacer Vintage. I had two Identical Pacer’s, and I wound up giving one to my Son at Christmas time, along with a Black/Gold Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Sleeve Darth vader Armour Personal protective equipment Machine

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory String instrument Guitar accessory

Fender….
I have a 79 Hardtail Strat and a Vintera 70’s Strat, and a 1989 and 2020 reissue HM Strat. I also have an American Special Strat.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Musician

Musical instrument Guitar White Light String instrument

Ibanez….
I have 5. I have an AZES31 in Vermillion Red, a Genesis RG550, a 1983 AE405 TV Acoustic Electric, and Two Roadstar II’s, and RG110, and an RS 430.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued from above…
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument White

Musical instrument Musician Guitar Plucked string instruments Guitar accessory

I have my RG550 on the right, along with the Stingray Bass, my two Kramer’s, and my Ovation. THE S540 pictured is long gone.

I also have a 1979 Guild S300D, and a Gibson SG Standard, and an Epiphone SG Custom.
And finally, my luthier made Brian May Replica.
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory Plucked string instruments String instrument accessory

·
Registered
168 Posts
You've got a fantastic collection that's broad and has some really, really nice instruments in there. I don't have the variety in my collection, nor as many guitars. In fact, I'm going to leave out the one that's probably going to go soon (a Cobra Blue Ultra Strat body with Warmoth scalloped ebony/maple neck + DiMarzio Injector pickups). That leaves the 6 that I plan to keep.

1. Ibanez PIA in Onyx Black. Just arrived yesterday, couldn't be happier with this! Today I swapped out the tuners for Hipshot lockers and peeled the plastics, but the only pic I've taken is when I first took it out of the case:

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory

2. Ibanez PIA in Stallion White. I've played relatively little else since I got this in December, 2021. It's what made me want the black one, as in the more humid months a satin finish is much more comfortable for me to play.

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory String instrument String instrument accessory

3. PIA-styld partscaster. Body made by Serge Fidar + Ibanez RG1070 neck (both painted satin candy tangerine by Sims Custom Shop), Gotoh 1996 bridge, Evolution bridge + middle pickups, Sustainiac system. This was my favorite, by far, until I got an actual PIA. (Pic by Greg Sowers, who installed the Sustainiac.)

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

4. Ibanez JS1200 body + pickups, Warmoth Mooncaster neck (I scalloped the fretboard and reshaped the headstock to look like an Ibanez, Greg Sowers painted the headstock CAR to match the body), Gotoh 1996 trem. I love the feel of this body, even if not the neck joint or that it's only 22 frets.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

5. Warmoth strat body (I contoured the heel, Sims Custom Shop painted it in satin Aztec gold) + Warmoth rosewood/canary neck (I scalloped the fretboard), Gotoh 510 bridge, DiMarzio Injector pickups. I played strats exclusively until about 6 years ago, and this is one of two I'm keeping. It's my lightest guitar, the one I play when I'm tired or having any back/shoulder pain.

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory String instrument Guitar accessory

6. Warmoth strat body (I contoured the heel) + Warmoth scalloped neck, OFR bridge, DiMarzio Injector pickups. I keep this one because it plays great and I love the looks of the flame maple neck and the hint of birdseye in the maple top on the body. This one stays downstairs to play while watching TV, all my others stay upstairs for bedroom use only.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory String instrument String instrument

I think I'll update my photos, and maybe get the whole collection together, on the next sunny day. Looking forward to seeing what others have got!

·
Registered
673 Posts
umm...reading this post made me realize that i've never seen all my guitars in the same room at the same time lol...lessee...2 lag acoustics 1 6 string 1 12 string, ibanez talman looking thingy acoustic, strung in nashville tuning, squier jazz bass, peavey usa foundation 5 bass, ibanez sdgr 5 string bass, a usa jackson dinky, a charvel spectrum, jackson dk2s, fender strat, a number of old ibanez rg's including 3 seven strings...i'm sure i've forgotten some lol...i'll enclose a pic of my latest 2 acquisitions...gray is 89 570dx and red is an 89 rg760 that someone put emg's in...d.m.
Musical instrument Guitar Photograph White String instrument

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've got a fantastic collection that's broad and has some really, really nice instruments in there. I don't have the variety in my collection, nor as many guitars. In fact, I'm going to leave out the one that's probably going to go soon (a Cobra Blue Ultra Strat body with Warmoth scalloped ebony/maple neck + DiMarzio Injector pickups). That leaves the 6 that I plan to keep.

1. Ibanez PIA in Onyx Black. Just arrived yesterday, couldn't be happier with this! Today I swapped out the tuners for Hipshot lockers and peeled the plastics, but the only pic I've taken is when I first took it out of the case:

View attachment 20321

2. Ibanez PIA in Stallion White. I've played relatively little else since I got this in December, 2021. It's what made me want the black one, as in the more humid months a satin finish is much more comfortable for me to play.

View attachment 20323

3. PIA-styld partscaster. Body made by Serge Fidar + Ibanez RG1070 neck (both painted satin candy tangerine by Sims Custom Shop), Gotoh 1996 bridge, Evolution bridge + middle pickups, Sustainiac system. This was my favorite, by far, until I got an actual PIA. (Pic by Greg Sowers, who installed the Sustainiac.)

View attachment 20324

4. Ibanez JS1200 body + pickups, Warmoth Mooncaster neck (I scalloped the fretboard and reshaped the headstock to look like an Ibanez, Greg Sowers painted the headstock CAR to match the body), Gotoh 1996 trem. I love the feel of this body, even if not the neck joint or that it's only 22 frets.

View attachment 20326

5. Warmoth strat body (I contoured the heel, Sims Custom Shop painted it in satin Aztec gold) + Warmoth rosewood/canary neck (I scalloped the fretboard), Gotoh 510 bridge, DiMarzio Injector pickups. I played strats exclusively until about 6 years ago, and this is one of two I'm keeping. It's my lightest guitar, the one I play when I'm tired or having any back/shoulder pain.

View attachment 20327

6. Warmoth strat body (I contoured the heel) + Warmoth scalloped neck, OFR bridge, DiMarzio Injector pickups. I keep this one because it plays great and I love the looks of the flame maple neck and the hint of birdseye in the maple top on the body. This one stays downstairs to play while watching TV, all my others stay upstairs for bedroom use only.

View attachment 20328

I think I'll update my photos, and maybe get the whole collection together, on the next sunny day. Looking forward to seeing what others have got!
Yeah, don’t let you know who find out about the Sustainiac. We don’t want Greg to have to go through any of that monkey business.

I really am starting to appreciate the fact that my next guitar from Ibanez might be a PIA. The workmanship on my Genesis RG 550 was way better than on the premium Jem I Just sold a couple of weeks ago. I had a couple of premiums actually. One got sent back and one got sold. If I find a Prestige or J.Custom that I like spec wise, I might buy another Ibanez.

Right now. I am just focusing on finding bargains on Vintage 70’s and 80’s guitars. There really isn’t anything out there that I just gotta have. I only have so much room and I’ve got to be more selective with what I allow to take up space. My problem is that anything I buy that is old, I feel like I have to do restoration work. My 79 Strat and 79 Guild S300D were both rather unsightly when I bought them. But I brought them up from ghastly condition to “wow this looks like it was lightly played but well taken care of” condition.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
umm...reading this post made me realize that i've never seen all my guitars in the same room at the same time lol...lessee...2 lag acoustics 1 6 string 1 12 string, ibanez talman looking thingy acoustic, strung in nashville tuning, squier jazz bass, peavey usa foundation 5 bass, ibanez sdgr 5 string bass, a usa jackson dinky, a charvel spectrum, jackson dk2s, fender strat, a number of old ibanez rg's including 3 seven strings...i'm sure i've forgotten some lol...i'll enclose a pic of my latest 2 acquisitions...gray is 89 570dx and red is an 89 rg760 that someone put emg's in...d.m. View attachment 20331
Those two are Sweet!

·
Registered
131 Posts

I like the partcaster PIA better than the real ones. They are too gaudy for my taste. Combining pearloid pickguard with gold hardware plus the intricate decor on the pickups is like mixing coke with heroin, fatal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the partcaster PIA better than the real ones. They are too gaudy for my taste. Combining pearloid pickguard with gold hardware plus the intricate decor on the pickups is like mixing coke with heroin, fatal.
The gaudy look put me off for a while, too! First I coped with it in service of the specs and craftsmanship, then it started to grow on me, and now I have to admit I like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is what is in the stable at the moment. Minus my recent JS2480MCP and Ibanez AEF30 acoustic. The only one that is not here is the Ovation YM68K I just sold awhile back. Also, I recently added a Soldano SLO Mini 30 and if you haven't gotten of those, do yourself a favor and snag one. I love the little amp and it sounds great.

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Folk instrument Idiophone Room

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument accessory

·
Registered
673 Posts
This is what is in the stable at the moment. Minus my recent JS2480MCP and Ibanez AEF30 acoustic. The only one that is not here is the Ovation YM68K I just sold awhile back. Also, I recently added a Soldano SLO Mini 30 and if you haven't gotten of those, do yourself a favor and snag one. I love the little amp and it sounds great.

View attachment 20332

View attachment 20333
agreed on the slo mini...mine's a lot louder than i expected...nice collection...yours is even worse than mine when restringing day rolls around lol...d.m.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

View attachment 20332

View attachment 20333
I love the idea of putting the racks on sleeves. I am inspired to do something very similar to that Now. Nice collection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
agreed on the slo mini...mine's a lot louder than i expected...nice collection...yours is even worse than mine when restringing day rolls around lol...d.m.
Oh I love the SLO Mini. You're right, little powerhouse and just has a really nice tone. Can't believe you can get that kind of tone from solid state. It sure isn't the old Crate's of the 90's LOL!! Re-stringing isn't too bad. I have a lot of sets for those days. I mainly stick to just a few guitars that I play now. My three Malmsteen strats, and all of my JS's get played regularly. Also my RG7620 as my only seven string.

I love the idea of putting the racks on sleeves. I am inspired to do something very similar to that Now. Nice collection.
I saw a guy on YouTube a few years ago that had a massive YJM Stratocaster collection and he had all his up on metal shelving, with all the cases beneath the racks. So I decided to just build some real quick with some lumber I had, to have the same affect. I also made mine tall enough that I can get under them and store my amps. So it has double storage in a sense.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I love the SLO Mini. You're right, little powerhouse and just has a really nice tone. Can't believe you can get that kind of tone from solid state. It sure isn't the old Crate's of the 90's LOL!! Re-stringing isn't too bad. I have a lot of sets for those days. I mainly stick to just a few guitars that I play now. My three Malmsteen strats, and all of my JS's get played regularly. Also my RG7620 as my only seven string.

I saw a guy on YouTube a few years ago that had a massive YJM Stratocaster collection and he had all his up on metal shelving, with all the cases beneath the racks. So I decided to just build some real quick with some lumber I had, to have the same affect. I also made mine tall enough that I can get under them and store my amps. So it has double storage in a sense.
I have to do something like that. If you look at the of my room you will see the stack of cases on the right, and I’ve got more in the closet. I just sold a few guitars in the last couple of weeks. None of them came originally with cases, so I didn’t include the cases with them, as they don’t give anything for them.

I bought the racks and now all of the guitars get played more.

Musical instrument Window Picture frame Wood Textile

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to do something like that. If you look at the of my room you will see the stack of cases on the right, and I’ve got more in the closet. I just sold a few guitars in the last couple of weeks. None of them came originally with cases, so I didn’t include the cases with them, as they don’t give anything for them.

I bought the racks and now all of the guitars get played more.

View attachment 20334
For sure you could make use of the room you do have by putting the guitars up off the ground. Then you could slot your amps or cases underneath. I have cases for all my guitars, just about every guitar I have, has a case either hard or soft. But I have them all stored in my garage, on a suspended drop down platform. So it hangs over the vehicles. Have to get creative when you start running out of space.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Love the finish on that 540S... The guitar I play most often is an '89 540S-LTD, but in the kind of plain Lipstick Red finish. Looks great until I see one with a killer finish like yours, lol! Prefer the HSS like yours as opposed to HSH too, though I can't complain about the great sound of the old stock pickups at all. Was yours the first year of the oval fret markers and "custom made" on the neck?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure. I had an '88 and it had dot inlays and no "custom made" marker, black cherry color. Anyone got an '89 for reference?

And yea the F2 screams. Had a '92 450S that got stolen, had an F2 in the bridge and a Super 58 in the neck, when you rolled the tone back on the neck pickup it sounded like Cliff Burton on Anesthesia

1 - 20 of 40 Posts