Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my jem i want to get a more powerful single coil tone in neck that the EVO DP158 i had didnt deliver. Its was little weak. I have tried many humbuckers and they was to bright, trebly and dindt make that malmsteen twang sound. I love the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder SSL-4 that is twice the power of a single coil (approx 300mv) and makes 13,3khz. treble 4, mid 5, bass 6 are the specs i think.

So guys, do anyone have experience with the SSL4 and have some Dimarzio recomendations for me..

If i can get the sound when i use the whole humbucker will do too for me. I havent tried John Petruccis liquifire though. The thing is that Evo dp158 in split gives 160mv and its almost half the power of the SSL4. In full humbucker it doesnt deliver the sound.

I have tried;
Tone Zone reversed (close/bright)
Evo dp158 (weak,)
Evo Dp159 (sharp)
D Activator Neck (dark)
D Activator X (to powerful, trebly)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the Quarter Pounder, it kind of remind me of P90. My guess is look into Dimarzio DP163 Bluesbucker. I don't have one but it is supposed to be sounding like P90. The screw coil is absolutely dominant so if you split, it might give you the effect. And I don't think there will be much of volume drop when split since it is the dominant coil.

Bad news is usually split humbucker don't sound like single coil with pole magnets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.