Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased an RG320DXQM (trans red) from guitar center last summer. It was under $300, but, damn, this guitar kicks ass! I have 11 guitars, including Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Hamer, Fender and ESP, but this little baby smokes them all. I added a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton, but it sounded just as good with the stock pups. The trem is perfect and so is the neck. Nice quilt top, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the 470 are really nice and you can get cheap used, the new 320fm, 350 and 370 are alright, they have the edge III bridge which is a big step up, i am not a big fan of the wizard II necks though. You may look into a used rg 570 as well.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes....the question is very vague. But without knowing your playing style, I would definitely go with the RG321. I plan on replacing my yamaha with it because it's just an all-around awesome guitar, it's inexpensive, and since it has a fixed bridge I shouldn't have any trouble downtuning it. I also just ordered an RG370DX which is basically the same thing except it has the Edge III trem on it. It's only about 100 bucks more than the RG321. You also can't go wrong with an S that has the ZR trem on it. You should be able to get a good deal on a used 2003 model either from another jemsiter or maybe from 'evilbay'

·
Registered
725 Posts

the new Edge III Vibrato is in this year's RG320/ 350/ 370...

i have 2 in mind:
1.RG321MH
2.SZ320

both are fine guitars, very affordable...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I agree with what most of the people have said so far. If you are looking for a Brand New guitar, then opt for an RG321, any RG3xx series with a trem. Then you have the SZ320 models, and now new this year the GSZ models, which are really nice for the money.

Buying "used" can be a life saver though. You could upgrade hugely and get a nice used RG550, RG570, RG520 etc.....and be very happy indeed. Maybe even a really nice used RG421 which are great. After some new pickups in any of the above - you have got yourself a very well-equipped guitar indeed.

There are plenty of options out there for ya dude.

Gary - The.Godfather

·
Registered
147 Posts
The RG321 is great!! I got mine for under 250 new. Plays just as great as any other Ibanez. You'll probably have to get the frets dressed, as I did. I threw in some Duncans and she screams now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd recommend nothing less than an RG1520 or 1570. You can get those brand new for around $700, and they come with the Edge Pro.

Not to offend anyone, but the Edge Pro II and III's are not up to par with the actual Edge Pro. The bar doesn't even securely fit into the hole, and the parts are inferior to the Edge Pro.

If you can squeeze out the extra cash, go for the entry level pro RGs like the ones mentioned above. The Korean stuff is priced accordingly, cheap. The Japanese RGs, that can be had for $700 or so, are a steal.

I found this out the hard way when I bought a Korean RG. It took me a while to realize how crappy the trem was (however, it always stayed in tune). Once I picked up the RG1570 that I actually exchanged the Korean one for, I realized the difference. Much smoother, better fret work and better machined hardware for about $200 - $300 more. It was worth it.

Ryan

·
Registered
980 Posts
rrhea said:
Not to offend anyone, but the Edge Pro II and III's are not up to par with the actual Edge Pro. The bar doesn't even securely fit into the hole, and the parts are inferior to the Edge Pro.
Ryan
Agreed. I bought an RGT42 last year & returned it 3 days later because of the $hitty trem. They need a secure bar on there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts