Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I'm going to take the plunge and buy an Ibanez something. Never had an Ibanez, most similar I had was a Hamer Diablo that also had a thin neck. Neck size doesn't really bother me, I'm confortable with them all.

The used market in my country is almost non existen so I will most likely end up buying new.

In my research the new Genesis series ofcourse showed up as a good bang for the buck. Which is about €1000, but I stumpled upon a white new RG655M for about €1450 thats been sitting in a store that stopped selling Ibanez.

Now I'm wondering if AANJ and better pickups actually is worth the extra €450. For that difference I could get whatever case I like, intonation tools and extras to go along with the Genesis.

If I read this forum correctly the fretwork on maple-necks isn't really "prestige" on the prestiges so on that part RG655M may be similar to Genesis series.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only played one 655M, but I have a 550, 550DX, and 565 Genesis at this point so I feel I've tried enough of those to say... I'd highly recommend the Genesis. I felt they play just as well as the 655M did, but I do think the pickups (Dimarzios) are a little more desirable.

The thing is, I've really grown to like the V7 and V8 pickups, they aren't "worse" than the Dimarios, just different. The Dimarzio's are nice because they are more relatable - tons of players outside of Ibanez have heard/played a Tone zone or Air Norton before so that helps when it's time to sell it if it comes to that. For my own purposes, I get along just fine the Genesis pickups and don't feel the need to change them other than maybe just a change of pace since all three of mine have the V8 in the bridge and I like some variety.

One thing I did notice, and I'm going off of my Genesis guitars because I don't remember this detail about the 655M - but my 2018 model 550 has a beautiful, glossy feeling smooth neck. On the other hand, both my 2019 and 2020 year 550dx and 565 respectively have extremely smooth satin feeling necks. I actually prefer my 550 for this reason since I like glossy necks more than satin. If your preference is the lighter finish like the satin, you may prefer a newer Genesis - but I'm not sure which finish the 655M has so you'd have to check it out personally to tell.

The 655M should include the case by the way. So you're paying an extra 450 for the fitted prestige case and the Dimarzios. If you were to buy the case, the Dimarzios, and pay someone to install them for you, it would probably run about 450 so it's not totally unfair or anything, but I'm a big fan of DIY and I'm perfectly happy with a $50 case from ebay, and I'd rather save a few bucks. If the 655M in the shop doesn't include the original prestige case I'd expect a pretty decent discount on it honestly.

Oh! the AANJ. Call that personal preference too. I have several of both AANJ and the regular neck plate models... I prefer the traditional neck joint but it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. Playability wise I think they are both equal - plenty of great players use both types so it's all up to you.

Last piece, and granted again I'm talking about the Genesis series, but I don't notice really any difference in the quality of fretwork on my maple 550 or 565 compared to the 550DX (granadillo board with binding). Frets feel and play the same on all 3 - very consistent.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Genesis is a fantastic guitar.

Compared to the original 550s they are almost spot on.
I personally don't like the pups much on it but they are not bad. They are very dynic but have a more classic crunch kind of time.
But if you decision is down to pups, then i would say they can easily be swapped for anything you want eventually.

As for the aanj vs the square heel, the aanj feels better but the square heel isn't that bad. I don't notice it much in the higher registry. The angle on it helps out there alot.

This is all assuming of course your after a NEW guitar.
You can always find a 1550/1570 prestige with case and probably different pups on the market for less then 1k. Most are in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts