Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I thought Team J Craft was just the name of the Japanese division that builds all the prestige and J custom stuff. I have an RG1570 from 2008 and on the back it has the Team J Craft stamp, and MADE IN JAPAN. I just got a brand new RG prestige and it just says MADE IN JAPAN, what is this team j craft and are they now only building J Customs or something?

The quality on the new RG is near perfect, but the workmanship on the 08 model is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
The first rule of Team J Craft is that you don't talk about Team J Craft.

No wait, that's not right. :)

Sorry though, I can't help with a sensible answer as I never "truly" understood who they are/were/might have been.

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
It was a marketing slogan, nothing more. Nothing was different the day before or the day after they were or weren't TJC.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's just a way of highlighting the fact that the product is made in Japan.

On the other hand the "custom made" inlay from the 90's never made any sense.

·
Registered
931 Posts

LOL My 540R had that on the neck when I was a kid.
It made me feel like I belonged to an elite fraternity...of other dummies with "custom made" on their necks.:rolleyes:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

The bodies/necks etc were sent to the LA shop where they were put together and put the finishing touches on those guitars. The 540 models got this. So while it wasn't custom made, it did come from the LACS.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The bodies/necks etc were sent to the LA shop where they were put together and put the finishing touches on those guitars. The 540 models got this. So while it wasn't custom made, it did come from the LACS.
Nope,only japan built and assembled got the custom made logo......but yeah it didn't actually mean 'custom made' just high end jap,just like team j-craft. For the record,assembled in japan 540's are nicer than any u.s assembled H n S 540's with the only exception being the custom line series of 540's which ran for only 6 months as they had some unusual specs now and then like ebony and unusual p/up configurations.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
.....actually i had one 540 assembled by H n S that the custom inlay,but never knew for sure if it was a neck swap or from Hns originally. I collect 540s for the record and i have had an obsession with the whole range,especially sabers.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The first rule of Team J Craft is that you don't talk about Team J Craft.

No wait, that's not right. :)
I literally laughed out loud at that. Well, snickered neway.

It was a marketing slogan, nothing more. Nothing was different the day before or the day after they were or weren't TJC.
Except they prolly all wear the same color t-shirt that has "Team J Craft" stitched on it. ^ ^

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nope,only japan built and assembled got the custom made logo......
Weird, because I was told it came from the LACS at the time. When I ordered mine in 89 it was shipped from there to the guitar store that got it. Was told all the guitars and necks and hardware was shipped there for SOME guitars (The ones with the fancy neck heel) and they gave them "finishing" touches before shipping them out to resellers. I owned two of those, and both had the lowest action of any Ibanez guitars I've owned since. They did the USA made customs too. But since it wasn't a custom made guitar there, they didn't get the special headstock. I know in the early 90s when the logo came off the fretboard and they started putting dots instead of ovals on them, they came from Japan strictly. I am going to find out about this.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Why did they ONLY put "Custom Made" on the 540 guitars? And not the others?

Those 540s were the only low enders that had the special neck play cover too right?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I also want to add it took FOREVER to order one of those 540 guitars during that time. I wanted one in a color the shop didn't have. I think it was like 6-8 weeks. And this was just for a 540S.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
540s, r and p were not low end at all, same spec and quality as any rg.
They were also a huge design project and just brilliant, each model completely different to the next and way more hands on work than an rg to build (sabers and radius).

I believe only 540s got the plaque as a nod to the design involved with the range.....the only real custom I have that got it was my srg timeless timber j custom....strangely that wasn't built until 2004.....must of had a few lying around and thought let's use em on a real custom.
Only 12 timeless timbers were built.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts