Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned Fender, Marshall, Vox, Orange, Ampeg, Peavey, and Mesa/Boogie, and Swart, Carr.

I have had various speaker cabs from 4x12 down to a single speaker

But the best out of the Bunch has been my Mesa/Boogie Mark V 25. It gives me so many tones, is so versatile, and so small and easy on my back, with two separate 1x12 enclosures.

I have a Mesa/Boogie F30, and a couple of Orange Crush RT 35’s. I am also looking for the right Marshall small head. But so far, the Mesa Marfk V 25 is my favorite. After I got it, I got rid of my JS Marshall and 4x12, along with two AC 30’s.

Shelf Bookcase Studio monitor Audio equipment Chair

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Marshall JCM800 and 4x12 cab in the practice studio we used years ago.

No I didn't/couldn't buy it. 😞

And when we gigged it was always with a fly board into whatever house amps the venue had. So i played a lot of different amps. But I never sounded as good as i did at practice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Marshall JCM800 and 4x12 cab in the practice studio we used years ago.

No I didn't/couldn't buy it. 😞

And when we gigged it was always with a fly board into whatever house amps the venue had. So i played a lot of different amps. But I never sounded as good as i did at practice.
Looking back it's amazing how far a Jem with Pafs plus a tubescreamer into a cranked Marshall with a single boss delay pedal can get you.

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
The ones I remember not buying were a Marshall JMP1 into a "Dual Monobloc" 9200 power amp with I think a digitech 2101 for effects through 4 Marshall 4x12s in a guitar store. I was still a teenager and that was the first time I'd ever tried anything stupendously cool.

The one that changed the game for me though was when I went digital, albeit with a Line6 combo with a midi floor controller. The main thing is that I can edit patches from an iPad or even from my phone and at the same time, I can have 100 different tones all saved all sounding great (not perfect, but more than good enough) from good but not perfect representations of my favourite amps. I can have a Soldano for rhythm, a Bognor for leads and Dr Z for cleans...

Would I have one for "serious" gigging, hell no, but at home when I steal 20 minutes play time here and there, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Different amps for different things. My JVM410HJS is a wealth of excellent tones, but I have a Victory V30 which gives the best clean tone of any amp I have played, and a great lead tone. Still enjoy seeing what I can get out of my triaxis set up too!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I haven't had a lot of amps over the years. My first amp was a classic 30... Which sucked haha. But then I had a line 6 axis, which was super cool back in the 2002... Then a line 6 ax2, and then a line 6 vetta 2... And that one burned up at practice. I got to play through a 60 watt musicman head and WOW that thing was incredible! I bought a peavey JSX which served me well... And sounded pretty nice! I just sold that and bought a Soldano SLO 30.

It's incredible, it's like a marshal super lead (Plexi) but with more gain... A crunch and clean channel. The cleans are very fender like. The only things I wish it had are independent EQ... And a foot switchable clean to crunch. The crunch/clean is a toggle on the front of the amp. But turning down with a high pass filter works fine. It's a whole different animal... Definitely has a little bit of a learning curve because there is no gain knob. You get gain by turning up the preamp. You get your master where you want it for volume and there's this balance you have to find to get the gain/db you want.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Being new at guitar (not entirely as I had roughly 8 months under my belt when I had that RG550 back in 88-89), I got a Line 6 Spider Jam. A very capable amp. I know it's digital and not tube-oriented, but I like it alot for what it offers, especially jaming with pre-recorded bands/tracks/etc. Dunno when they did this, but Line 6 made a total upgrade-overhaul for its firmware that gives the Spider Jam much, much better recording capability using your computer. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey 3Bolt, i would 100% agree on the Mark V:25!!! The best amp i ever played i didnt buy was a Marshall 100w head in GC trying out a Jem. That experience has stayed with me for a long time.
View attachment 18859
Is that Tolex? What was the upcharge for the color?
I think mine is leather. The grain is different on mine. Mine isn’t rough and bumpy.. It’s smooth. At least the head is.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Is that Tolex? What was the upcharge for the color?
I think mine is leather. The grain is different on mine. Mine isn’t rough and buoy. It’s smooth. At least the head is.
Yes, It is Tolex/Vinyl. I do not remember exactly what the cost difference was, thinking $200 or less from the Black Tolex one. I just got it in 2020, right before the Gibson purchase. Luckily I did, they have paused the custom ordering.

What a fantastic amp, I just bought an attenuator tonight because this thing is loud and my lead tone I found just sounds better with the volume higher than 1ish, the wife will be happy also as I have been diming out some backing tracks on my KRK's and turning the amp up.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hmm, some that stand out for me have been MI Audio. The man behind them (Michael Ibrahim) might be better known for his pedals internationally, but the amps are killer. No, didn't buy, sadly, even though they're remarkable for the $$.

I really liked the Iron Duke. Looking at it, you can imagine what it is modelled on. Has all the M sounds we love, and everything in between, thanks to the tweakability of the two independent channels. So you could have a JTM45 thing going, then switch to hot territory (like Soldano). The pic is of the mk. 1; mk. 2 has more switches for adjusting the voicing.

Another cool one is the Revelation, which is a tweaker's dream. 4 independent channels which you can set up any way you want, squeaky clean to djent. Too much for me, but great sounding, and a superlative studio tool.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Best amp I've owned is a 1980 Acoustic G100-12T combo, it's a far better clean than my Mark, which is still a decent amp. Best I've ever played through was a Dumble Steel String Singer back in the 80's, and when i asked how much I was told 9 grand for the head! No idea what it would run now but more than that.

The Acoustic, in all its filthy 40+ year old glory lol

1 - 20 of 57 Posts