Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is this disturbing trend in people "barbequeing" their expensive guitars?

First I found this dude who (in an 8 part video series) destroys a 777DY...

...and now i've seen not 1, but TWO "barbequed" RGT Prestige's on the bay this month...

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??

Item#: 220527001153

While that one is not a Prestige (and has the logo, I did see another Prestige that someone had "home barbequed")

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: What is this disturbing trend in people "barbequeing" their expensive guitars?

The dude who did that to a DY is a member here.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: What is this disturbing trend in people "barbequeing" their expensive guitars?

this is like...the 60746874th thread on that video...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorry to bring it up then, since i'm a Jemsite newbie. But I have seen some new barbequed axes on evilbay pop up, and wondering if people may be following his example...

lol ::wonders if I should set my PGM on fire...::

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Sorry to bring it up then, since i'm a Jemsite newbie. But I have seen some new barbequed axes on evilbay pop up, and wondering if people may be following his example...

lol ::wonders if I should set my PGM on fire...::
If you set your PGM on fire, set youself on fire afterwards.
:p

If I bought that RGT42, the first thing I'd do to it would be a refinish. Period.

·
Registered
695 Posts

It's because Mr. Vai had a "barbequed" guitar. I'm not sure how Vai actually had it done, but I'm sure it didn't involve taking a blow torch to it.

I don't get the big deal though. It seems to upset everybody. It's just a finish what's the problem?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Finishes are sacred. :p
Guitars are made to be immaculate. :D

·
Registered
430 Posts

In an old issue of Guitar World, when Passion and Warfare came out. There's was a piece written as an add-on to the story about the Universe used in the "FTLOG" video with someone from the Ibby shop detailing how they went about doing that particular burnt guitar.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Hendrix started the trend, but arguably only after seeing Pete Townsend demolish his guitars.

Luckily Ibanez has (had) several pre-BBQed guitars/finishes, the Jem BSB, the JS BTB, and that honey BBQ RGT, so we don't have to go out for lighter fluid ourselves.
If companies are going to sell relics with pre-worn bodies and necks, then why not?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts