Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I rescued a PGM100.
I've just done my latest addition to it as it's now my play anything stunt guitar..

Latest mod: 2x magnets on the lower horn for slide.

List of mods:
  • original owner took of finish and rounded body. I sanded it smoother and oil finished it
  • new Ibanez Edge (about 8 years ago now.
  • killswitch/stutter
  • schaller straplocks

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory String instrument

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The slide on magnets is a Paul Gilbert idea.
For those who didn't see his last tour check this out: A beatles/Racer X medley (whist dressed as a high school geography teacher)

Although I'm messing around with playing this medley too, I've actually found the slide great for ambient / post rock stuff too (think godspeed you style black emperor screwdriver parts such as Sleep or Moya)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hmmm.... I thought to myself, "If I bought that guitar, what would I want to do to it?" Honestly, it's not lacking anything! I've always kind of wanted a guitar with a sustainer though.

Do they make a D-Tuna for the Edge tremolo? If they do, I guess you would need a tremolo stop of some type?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.... I thought to myself, "If I bought that guitar, what would I want to do to it?" Honestly, it's not lacking anything! I've always kind of wanted a guitar with a sustainer though.

Do they make a D-Tuna for the Edge tremolo? If they do, I guess you would need a tremolo stop of some type?
I play it with my eBow sometimes. And I love the PAF in the neck too much to add a sustainer.
I think the D-tuner prevents you pulling up? So maybe tremelo-no. I assume the trem still flutters ok when not locked?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I play it with my eBow sometimes. And I love the PAF in the neck too much to add a sustainer.
I think the D-tuner prevents you pulling up? So maybe tremelo-no. I assume the trem still flutters ok when not locked?
I've never actually used one, but like to change to drop D... (I keep a guitar in drop D at the moment) I think with a D-Tuna you need some kind of stabilizer in there. It would be nice to have one that you can still pull up.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never actually used one, but like to change to drop D... (I keep a guitar in drop D at the moment) I think with a D-Tuna you need some kind of stabilizer in there. It would be nice to have one that you can still pull up.
I have a 70s lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul I use for drop D. But would be nice to have the option on here for sure.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a nice PGM, I dig the all natural basswood (underrated imo). The radiused body edges too - bit like the old EX/RX models, they have softer lines like this.
I was surprised how well basswood came up.
I had to re-sand it. Then used Crimson Guitars finishing oil to give it a few coats (which I top up once a year). It really looks good in person.

The radius'd edges will annoy some RG purists but they're really comfortable to handle. And it looks good to me. Still more modern/aggressive than a strat but not as extreme as a JS.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was surprised how well basswood came up.
I had to re-sand it. Then used Crimson Guitars finishing oil to give it a few coats (which I top up once a year). It really looks good in person.

The radius'd edges will annoy some RG purists but they're really comfortable to handle. And it looks good to me. Still more modern/aggressive than a strat but not as extreme as a JS.
I've seen a few people do this over the years (or a light colour stain) and always thought it looked good. Plus, since basswood doesn't have a prominent grain, a multi-piece body also looks well blended in.

I agree. I like the whole 'it looks plain but you pick it up and it's a monster sounding/playing thing'. I don't know how different it is in real life, but in the pic the aged pickups look almost the same as the basswood!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen a few people do this over the years (or a light colour stain) and always thought it looked good. Plus, since basswood doesn't have a prominent grain, a multi-piece body also looks well blended in.

I agree. I like the whole 'it looks plain but you pick it up and it's a monster sounding/playing thing'. I don't know how different it is in real life, but in the pic the aged pickups look almost the same as the basswood!
It looks a little plain in photos but, I think, great and fairly unique in real life. If I was going to stain it I'd be tempted to just go a little darker, then I'd have a PGM version of a Root Beer Jem. It definitely sounds huge though!

Since adding the slide I've been playing it with my eBow a lot. Which does sorta make me tempted by the sustainer suggestion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is lacking a sustainer lol

ebow cant compare not even close

also those magnetic dots, when you put the slide it could hit the finish? thats why gilber has something around the horn
Sustainer seems the consensus yes.

The dots won't hurt the finish. I've already taken them off once and replaced since this photo. As my first attempt (pictured) was irritatingly off centre.

They leave a little superglue residue that comes right off with a craft knife. And I can just top up the oil finish and polish it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.