Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm close to get a new single coil (neck position) to my strat, I'm looking for clarity and a bit more gain (than the fender AM S coils), all that without loosing the strat sound, what pickup can yo recommend me?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
man, look into the dimarzio virtual vintage series. for you, the area 58, 61, or 67. me personally, i like the VV blues for basswood axes, but for regular strats i go with the fender 57/62, too bad these aren't humbucking, cuz they sound incredible. i would steer away from the fender vintage noiseless. they are kinda lifeless.

for jaxadam, found the hs series to not be very strat like at all. the hs-3 especially. no hum, yes, but no output either. for him to drop cash on a replacement, dimarzio has way better pickups for him.
for cosmicdebris, i have had the fender lace sensor and if the regular don lace sound anything like them, then he may have a problem with clarity. whereas they don't sound bad, they sounded like they were being held back, much like the fender vintage noiseless. i have used the gold, silver and blue in the neck. they sound good, but a tad restricted. even the red in the bridge, which is supposed to be a "hot humbucker" made me snore as i had tone zones, evo's(at that time), and super3's at the time. the FLS red was just cheesy and more of a futile attempt at a hot pickup, which is why i am sold on the duncan hot rail if i have to have an SSS strat. actually, all of my fender strats have fender 57/62's in the neck and mid and duncan hot rails in the bridge with a coil tap for the hum now. i have never been more happy with my herd of strats...that's 4 total.
not trying to bash anyone, those are just my takes on those pickups.

rich

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
for jaxadam, found the hs series to not be very strat like at all. the hs-3 especially. no hum, yes, but no output either. for him to drop cash on a replacement, dimarzio has way better pickups for him.
Yes, HS-2 and HS-3 are ridiculously no output at all. They would work well in an all single coil guitar if you crank the amp a little more.

I personally really like the FS-1, and that's what I use in my single spaces, but that's got some hum to it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking for something between an HS-3 and a Virtual vintage Blues, area 61,58, 67 seems to be too mid and bass less for me, I just want something like my american standard pickup but without the HUM and with more output.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I was looking for something between an HS-3 and a Virtual vintage Blues, area 61,58, 67 seems to be too mid and bass less for me, I just want something like my american standard pickup but without the HUM and with more output.
sounds like your looking really into the SCN from fender. the samarium cobalt noiseless or the duncan classic or hot stack.

rich

·
Registered
563 Posts
Fender scn seems to be a good option, still I would love to hear more opinions, thanks
I've got the Fender Hot Noiseless set, and imo the neck pickup is worth the entire price of the set, they're absolutely phenominal.

You can't go wrong with the samarium cobalt noiseless set either, they're both awesome pickup sets. It just depends on what sound you're looking for.

The Hot noiseless set was wound to Jeff Beck's specifications, so if you like his tone (since You Had It Coming in 2000), then these are the things to get. Or, if you just want an amazing set with sweet soul, get 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.