Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the exact kind of oil or stain used on the JS6? I have one that I've played for years, just recently finding out that it may be valuable someday, but it has a little bit of rub-off of the oil where a pickguard would normally be. It's not deep, just the oil is gone needing a little sanding/steel wool and re-oiling. (But I'm not a luthier, so not sure.)

Mine looks darker than the picture of the one on Ibanez Rules, I'm guessing that one was refinished, or kept under wraps for awhile while mine aged. So, I'm guessing I'd have to re-do the whole body instead of a touch up job?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Sorry, I think this should be in the Tech forum, but I don't know how to move it. Could an Admin or Moderator move this posting? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, just to answer my own question, I went to Home Depot, bought a can of Tung Oil, the only brand they had. I used steel wool on the bad spot beneath the neck pickup after taping the pickups, then rubbed some tung oil on there. Looks like fresh from the factory! If I can I'll post pics later.

·
Super Moderator
7,316 Posts
Looking good there :)

I noticed you took off the string retainer bar on yours too, mine had that done when I got it and I keep promising to replace it. Do you ever notice an improvement in tone without the string retainer there?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I still have the old tree, hope so anyway. I took it off because the strings would get caught underneath it and go out of tune while playing. I think the string trees are ok on Floyd equipped guitars because they have the locking nut which lessens/eliminates the string movement across the tree. But that's just my uneducated theory.

I replaced the chrome tuners with Sperzels because of the tuning issues, but it was the tree that was causing the problem, I believe anyway. I just found out that some grease or something should be applied to the tree, I might put it back on and try that, but I don't have any problems without it being there.

-cp

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think I still have the old tree, hope so anyway. I took it off because the strings would get caught underneath it and go out of tune while playing. I think the string trees are ok on Floyd equipped guitars because they have the locking nut which lessens/eliminates the string movement across the tree. But that's just my uneducated theory.

I replaced the chrome tuners with Sperzels because of the tuning issues, but it was the tree that was causing the problem, I believe anyway. I just found out that some grease or something should be applied to the tree, I might put it back on and try that, but I don't have any problems without it being there.

-cp
This is why I don't think the JS should ever have been released as a fixed bridge. The angle coming off the nut to the tuners is huge because of the headstock drop they use. It just leads to all kinds of problems if you don't have a locknut there.

But yeah, Minwax Tung Oil will do the trick ;)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The angle coming off the nut to the tuners is huge because of the headstock drop they use.
just unscrew the tree enough to decrease the strings angle at the nut, and you're set, or take it off. but i doubt the tree is the culprit for tuning problems: the strings just can't get caught underneath, as it's smooth as a fret. i think the nut itself is the problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just unscrew the tree enough to decrease the strings angle at the nut, and you're set, or take it off. but i doubt the tree is the culprit for tuning problems: the strings just can't get caught underneath, as it's smooth as a fret. i think the nut itself is the problem.
Certainly possible. It's just that there's so much downward pressure exerted on the nut from the string tree due to the angle to the tuners that it's going to impact how easily the strings move through the nt. I don't know if they use a graphite nut on these or not, but they should have. Regardless, I still think it's a neck design that never should have been used without a locking nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts