Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Like most of you I now convinces myself that I need a VWH Jem.. I am about to buy a brand new one from Rich.. But I just found someone local who has a 2000 model that he wants to sell...

The problem is I take great care of my guitars and like them to remain in as perfect a condition as I can... This one seems to be in a very good condition, but many of the pickguard screws are rusted, some pitting on the tuners, and quite a lot of wear on the trem itself... The knobs have been changed, but he still has the original ones.. You can see it in these pictures...

The guy is asking 1600$ for it... I saw a brand new 2007 VWH on the Bay go for 1675$ last week.. So I think 1600$ is quite a bit .. What would you think would be a good price for it?... At the same time, while it is quite a bit more to go with Rich, I know that I will have the best setup I will ever have.. So maybe it is worth it to get a perfect instrument, even if it is more expensive.. Arghh, what should I do?... Here are the pics...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
A bit pricey for a used model. Maybe $1300 or less IMHO.

I think you have the right idea about the guitar you buy from Rich being a very nice "instrument" where anything else you buy will most likely just be a very nice "guitar". Unless you have a fascination with the old trem system and ebony board, I'd say go with Rich.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The ebony and the lo-pro are really nice, but imho a used JEM from 2000 that's not in perfect condition is NOT worth $1600. I'd actually say less than $1300, more like $1200 for me. AND you could still get it set up by Rich if you send it over to him.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
pff i have 07 7vwh an im taking good care of her but, pickguard screws going to rust. i cant prevent :s
A little clear nail polish will prevent them from rusting/tarnishing. Don't use so much as you fill in the screw head but just nuff to cover it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Get a new one from Rich. He knows what he's doing, and you can be confident that you will be very happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Sounds like you would be happier with a new one if you are that much of a perfectionist. If you can suck up the money...get the new one!

·
4,107 Posts
Yeah, I'd grab a new one from Rich. BTW, I don't think Rich is performing set-ups on guitars he didn't sell but he can say for sure.

·
Registered
973 Posts
yup i'd get a new one too, ok may cost a little bit more but the imperfections would bug you, i'm the same i like them to be in perfect condition.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
The sad thing is the price that dealer is asking is almost retail price from that year!
But in perspective, "that dealer" is selling ones that have a FAR heavier retail price this year than in '00. The extra couple hundred (over MAP) is worth it. If I was able to drop all my cash at once on my big purchases I'd goto Rich for most of my Ibanez needs. I usually have to use payment plans from online sources with my meager income.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for you advice guys!.. Knowing myself, i know I would be bothered with the wear on the trem... I know that if I buy a new one, it will probabluy eventually do the same thing, but I want to be the one doing it..:).. Also, the guy doesnt seem to want to lower is asking price.. Even if it ends up being more expensive,it looks like Rich will sell another VWH!..:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm new here on the forum.

But i think its much to expensive for a 2000 model, i have to agree with what GilkyBear says. Grab 1 from rich.

I'm thinking of buying this year a new guitar, i want to buy it at rich.

Greets jorn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts