Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
i bought the ultimate ozzy video years n years ago and was mesmerised by jake e lee's guitar solo and though man i wanna play like that.i went out n bought a guitar (marlin sidewinder) and a amp.only lasted a few months cos there was nobody around to give me lessons.so a few years went by and i saw the video to heaven tonight (yngwie malmsteen) man that guitar solo is still the best solo ive ever heard,very melodic beautiful piece of music.so i started again,i bought a yamaha guitar and a dak 50 amp which i remember was a very nice amp,the delays were amazing and the rest is history :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Probably Sum 41 - Makes No Difference. Not exactly a classic, I know, but the opening riff from that was something completely new for me.

777 posts wooooo! \m/

·
Registered
313 Posts
ive played violin since i was 7, wanted to play guitar since i was 4,
started when i was 10 after listening to rory gallagher's calling card, id heard it a millino times (being irish, although im in australia :p)
but listening to it then just made me feel i needed to play.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
ah i forgot to mention van halen 5150 album,i heard someone blasting this really loud on a beach and thought thats it i need a guitar :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Enter Sandman.

Heard that riff and my ears pricked up, I was only about 12. Then a band covered it at my school a few months later (by which time I was Metallica Mental).

Pissed me off, then coverered (what is now an easy song) it really badly. Out of time, out of tune and didn't even do the solos.

I went home determined to know I could play it, and I did! First real solo I ever learnt.

I was listening to Hendrix, Santana, Pink Floyd around the same time, just grew from there really!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Was playing classical piano since age 4 and at around age 11 I heard Michael Jacksons Beat it with Van Halen on solo and went, wow what the hell makes that sound :p and I made the switch.. Well I demanded I quit piano and my folks agreed but I had to take up another instrument. so guitar it was..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys! Funnily enough Aeolian that was the same album that made me want to play some 6 years ago! My friend who played guitar at the time lent me that album after watching him play his strat...i picked up guitar pretty fast with his help and hes recently just completed his degree at the ACM in london..lets just say hes become a great player now! He kept banging on about FIABD...but i took a better liking to the potato head :razz:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used to be able to play FIABD some 15 years ago, quite fluently too, then having stopped playing for 12 years and picking the guitar up again 3 years ago i find my fingers just dont want to play ball.

But yeah!, was the sole influencing album for me back in the day..!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
No one song as such but a combination of my Dad, who is a guitarist, showing me Hendrix Live at Monterey, that, and any track from AC/DC's 'If You Want Blood You Got It' (Live) album. That was the beginning of the end for for me in everything I had endeavoured to be up to that point.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My parents made me play the guitar when I was about 6, I hated it, so I quit... Then when I was 11 my parents made me play again, but I was pretty reluctant to play. Then, 2 years ago, when I was 15 I heard Satch Boogie and For the Love of God. I was just like "HOLY **** YOU CAN DO THAT WITH A GUITAR?!?!?!?!?" Then I fell in love with guitar...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Flying In A Blue Dream - Satriani :)

EDIT: Realised I have already posted, Satriani is who is encouraging me to play these days but not what first inspired me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts