Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my 1994 Washburn USA MG-100 for one from the same series, a 94 MG-120. The only difference between the guitars is the 100 is swamp ash where the 120 is Honduran mahogany with a quilted maple top. Also the benefit that this one has an Air Norton single in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge.

My question is what to do with a mini switch that currently is dead- and what could be done with it. I've thought of making it a killswitch, which I wouldn't mind but wouldn't use very much. The previous owner once had it as a coil tap on the Tone Zone, which I would never use at all. I never use a single bridge on a real single coil Fender, and I can't imagine it would be a usable sound with a split Tone Zone.

I might split the Air Norton to try and get a good neck single coil sound (which of course is the only thing I really miss about the MG-100 I traded).

What else could be done? What would you do?

Gaucho

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Just traded my 1994 Washburn USA MG-100 for one from the same series, a 94 MG-120. The only difference between the guitars is the 100 is swamp ash where the 120 is Honduran mahogany with a quilted maple top. Also the benefit that this one has an Air Norton single in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge.

My question is what to do with a mini switch that currently is dead- and what could be done with it. I've thought of making it a killswitch, which I wouldn't mind but wouldn't use very much. The previous owner once had it as a coil tap on the Tone Zone, which I would never use at all. I never use a single bridge on a real single coil Fender, and I can't imagine it would be a usable sound with a split Tone Zone.

I might split the Air Norton to try and get a good neck single coil sound (which of course is the only thing I really miss about the MG-100 I traded).

What else could be done? What would you do?

Gaucho
Several things you could do with it:
1. Remove it if you're not going to use it.
2. Kill switch.
3. Coil Tap.
4. Install a simple booster circuit and have the switch activate it.
5. Install a few LEDs under your pickups and have it switch them on/off.
6. If it's a DPDT--solder a few clipping diodes to one side of it for an instant onboard mini-overdrive.
What type of switch is it--SPST or DPDT?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Several things you could do with it:
1. Remove it if you're not going to use it.
2. Kill switch.
3. Coil Tap.
4. Install a simple booster circuit and have the switch activate it.
5. Install a few LEDs under your pickups and have it switch them on/off.
6. If it's a DPDT--solder a few clipping diodes to one side of it for an instant onboard mini-overdrive.
What type of switch is it--SPST or DPDT?
Could you say more about the mini-overdrive idea? And the booster circuit- that would just be a volume boost?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Could you say more about the mini-overdrive idea? And the booster circuit- that would just be a volume boost?
SPST=Single Pole Single Throw (3 lugs)
DPDT=Double Pole Double Throw (6 lugs in 2 rows of 3)

Have you seen those Blace Ice crunch boxes at StewMac.com? They are just diodes wired in series to produce a mild crunch. That's the idea with what I posted. Just wire a few diodes, even LEDs in series to produce a little crunch.

As far as a booster--you can build a simple circuit with minimal components to act as a booster, buffer, overdrive, etc. Just research DIY effects circuits. You could squeeze a small PCB in the cavity and have a simple effect in there. Many possibilities.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Blower switch, routes your bridge humbucker straight to the output jack, bypassing the volume, tone, etc. gives you a direct connection, nothing in the way, it boosts the output and makes the tone a bit clearer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the sound of this blower switch idea. I read a bit about that last night.

I think that's closest to what I naturally feel the switch SHOULD do when I'm playing. I find myself chugging along on metal rhythms through the TZ, and sometimes while playing leads, and wanting to flick that switch down and hear just a bit more everything, especially wanting to hear the top end open up a bit. Kind of a "give me a little more" type feeling, like up to 11!

I'll look into that more.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's awesome! Would it be possible to re do the high pass filter on a JS so the high pass cap is on permanatly, and when you pull up on the knob, it becomes a blower?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Set it as a series/parallel switch for the Norton. You get infinitely better single-coil sounds from a paralell HB than from coil-splitting one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts