Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heh, i laughed out loud when you mentioned your amp. No bareknucles are going to make ur tone sound decent with the piece of crap.

Upgrade your amp first, then Id recommend a:

Tonezone Bridge
Blue Velvet Middle
AIr Norton Neck

·
Registered
881 Posts
i agree with amp first. then evos neck and bridge and leave the single coil as is. this is my set up in my 550 and i'll never think about changing it. couldn't be happier with it. every pickup combo is excellent. then again, i've heard some really don't like evolutions, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no, i am 15 so i don't play in clubs or bars, i play mostly in my house and in some school talent shows with my friends. I play with backingtracks and don't use the volume to the max. So I don't need something to big (maybe something about 40 watts)....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hell, I say get 100w tube amp, regardless of what you do with it now.

You gotta plan ahead, chances are you'll want to be in a band later on, and . . if you already got a 100w, your all set! You'll be ready to tackle any size show, as well as tearin' up the bedroom. You can do it all with the same amp, Ive got a 120w Peavey JSX and 100w Laney AOR Pro Tube heads sitting on a Peavey XXX 4x12 cab in my bedroom, and I use the same rig for live and practice.

I dont use a hotplate, and I can get good tones at low volumes easily. A hotplate would, however, make the tones a bit sweeter.

If I were you, I'd do the following:

Buy a big tube combo (or halfstack, hey, your call), then
Strap that RG550 with some nice Dimarzios, then
Grab a used hotplate, and then your set!

Then you can, you know, purchase food again.

Im still trying to get to that point, lol, just need a few more guitars....

If you think 100w is overkill, well, better have it and not need it than need it and not have it (headroom! beautiful . . if you play clean tones, headroom and ample wattage is a must!)

a 100w amp will do what a 30w will do and more.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
i have one of these http://www.peavey.com/products/brow...56370/cat/63/begin/1/TransTube%AE+112+EFX.cfm

it's about $400 retail and it will definitely do what you want it to do for 1/3 of the price of a Boogie.

You can hear a few examples of things i've done with it in the Pickups & wiring section. Do an advanced search for my username in the pickups section. It may help you with your pickup selections too (not bad).
~K

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.