Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...in the past few months i've realized what an incredibly important thing something as small as what pick you use is...lol...
I used to think it really didn't matter...but now...if i change picks it takes several days for my technique to 'conform' to the pick...I use the dunlop stubby...the small ones in 2 or 3 mm...
i was using dunlop tortex in 2mm...but it dont dig those anymore...i also really like the black jazz IIIs in the heaviest gauge they make...
for me the stubby's in 2mm is perfect...its so small its right there and you dont have to choke up on it too much...and its great for pick squeals, and even sweeping...
Just curious guys..

·
Registered
118 Posts
what type of pick?

Funny you should post this now...

I'm a recent convert to Dunlop Gator-Grip 2.0mm picks... kind of rubbery things that are not too far removed from ice hockey pucks... the difference in picking clarity, volume and tone I've achieved with this has been quite amazing.

I was previously a thin pick player (always <0.5mm) and on reverting back to those after using the Gator Grips I can't believe I played with anything else!

Be careful though... as an over-exuberant strum with one of these and a wimpy grip will have your eye out! Remember.. keep your eye on the puck at all times!

(Edited by adrianfoden at 5:50 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
what type of pick?

I use Either Dunlop Jazz III's and or Dunlop Stubby 3.0 mm ( the small ones )
It all depends on what I'm playing, but I love those 2 picks !
Bamm

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
what type of pick?

I use Tortex Purples, I think they're 1.14mm. I love them. I use Fender Mediums for acoustic stuff though.

I use the Dunlop purples for bass too, because I am a guitar player mostly, and I suck greatly at playing bass the traditional way.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
what type of pick?

I've been using the Pickboy Edge 1.00 mm. Pointy and black carbon / nylon with a raised grip. :cool:

You gotta be careful when strumming hard. Last week I sliced through a brand new G string (.016) right over the neck pickup after an hour of practice. :doh:

It's the only pick I've used on electric since 1992.

For acoustic, I use an Edge .50 mm.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what type of pick?

yeah...i love my 2 and 3mm stubby (small ones of course) ive tried the red jazzIII's...i just dont dig em...
oh yeah...bammbamm...i read something you wrote about a mod kit or something by soldano that gives you more gain...

(Edited by texshred777 at 2:19 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

(Edited by texshred777 at 2:21 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

·
Registered
971 Posts
what type of pick?

Black Jazz III's (red's sound funny to me, softer too) and 2.0mm Stubbies (sometimes).

I like the Stubbies on acoustic, rolls off the string a bit nicer, less attack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
what type of pick?

Dunlop Stubby 1.0mm (clear).

God, i hate dropping these and never finding em again because they are clear =X

Hehe. I am way to dependent on these for fast/technical playing. Oh well =P

·
Registered
795 Posts
what type of pick?

Dunlop Black Jazz III's for 6 years now. I didn't realize how many other people use 'em too!
Although if I'm playing something like 'Pinball Wizard' I would rather to switch to a .5mm pick if one's around.

-Ben

·
Registered
599 Posts
what type of pick?

Any colour medium "Steve's music store"
Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, it doesn't matter which store.
Been using them for about 15 years.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
what type of pick?

Mostly a Dunlop 500(delrin) 2mm, it's dark purple. Or a Hotlicks copper, gauge 9 or 10. But also a Stylus Pick, stainless steel, Fender Extra Heavy. I really like those Dunlop 500's though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
what type of pick?

2mm Stubby's here. I was using Jazz III's when I started playing but the last year or so has been the 2mm Stubby's. I love how they sound and how fast they are.

Alden : )

·
Registered
23 Posts
what type of pick?

1mm Dunlop Sharps. been using 'em for about 10 years now. bad thing is i can't find anybody that carries 'em anymore. gotta order straight from Dunlop.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts