Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am keen to add a Wah to my gear but really am unsure which way to go. Whats your thoughts. So far I have narrowed it down to these:

- Jimi Hendirx Wah JH1
- Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Wah JH1FW
- Jim Dunlop Original cry baby Wah GCB-95
- Jim Dunlop Original cry baby Wah Pedal
- Crybaby DB-01 Dime cry baby From Hell Wah Pedal
- Jim Dunlop cry baby535Q Wah Pedal
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic Wah Wah Pedal
- Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah

Cheers
TVE

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fettouhi said:
Jim Dunlop Original cry baby Wah Pedal simply the best wah wah pedal ;).

Regards

André
Ive found theres an Original and the GCB95. Is there a difference? Why the orginal over the others such as the Hendrix and Hell.

Cheers n Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
in my experience,the crybaby 95q is better than the bad horsie 2.my bad horsie crapped out on me and the same thing has happened to many others.mine is screwed so it'll just stop working during use.and it sucks up 9v batteries and an adapter just will not do.i have only had the 95q for maybe a couple of weeks,but it already seems tons better.but i'd say if you could try out both,go for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knarfzednem said:
in my experience,the crybaby 95q is better than the bad horsie 2.my bad horsie crapped out on me and the same thing has happened to many others.mine is screwed so it'll just stop working during use.and it sucks up 9v batteries and an adapter just will not do.i have only had the 95q for maybe a couple of weeks,but it already seems tons better.but i'd say if you could try out both,go for it.
thanxs for the feedback.

so... cant a bhw be hooked up to an adapter.

·
Registered
795 Posts
TVE said:
so... cant a bhw be hooked up to an adapter.
Yep, it sure can. Just a couple thoughts here:

I think you need to see how important the switchless / switch issue is for you. If you like the switchless and don't want to have to stomp the wah to turn it on, then the Bad Horsie (I or II) is the way to go.

The BH treadle can't be 'stopped' 1/2-way and left there (without your foot on it)... not an issue for most people, but some people dig being able to do that.

The wah sweep and EQ of the wahs offered by Dunlop / Morley / Vox / Digitech etc... are all a bit different. Compared to others, I found the BH to have the least dramatic 'wah' to it... I owned the BH I and II and there were a couple things that I didn't like- the tone with the treadle all the way forward never got quacky enough, and the middle section of the sweep never got that hollow vocal quality. Although, the 1 Crybaby I owned seemed to cut off a bit of low end and make my overall tone a bit tin-y, and the Vox was a little bright. But it's all in what you want. Maybe you just want the wah to add some texture in a lead passage and not jump out like, "I JUST TURNED MY WAH ON". I think the BH was good for that because it was quite subtle, relatively speaking.

So, if you can take the time to hit a large music store and check out the offerings, that would be best. I think you'll find that some change your tone too much for you, or have a sweep that's either too dramatic or not enough. Maybe you love that mid-sweep hollow sound, and the Digitech doesn't have it (have no idea- haven't tried the Digitech... hypothetical).

Also, don't rule out the true-bypass wahs out there made by Teese, Fulltone, Budda, and HBE.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
i have a bad horsie 2 and i don't think it is an amazing unit. if given a option then i would trade it for a dunlop crybaby though i don't know which one. :(
also, it is not a true bypass. the pedal seems to push the midrange in ur tone.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I strongly recommend not going with a Crybaby. They are real weak and do nothing ...

The Bad Horsie was a good modern sounding wah.

If you want a classic wah though you have to get a Vox (the standard $99 model or the Clyde Mccoy, either is fine!). Trust me there is no other classic wah that isn't a half ass copy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't see what's so great about bad horsie. Sure it's switchless and all but there's exactly nothing superior to a crybaby. It's not even superior to gcb95 if you ask me. HAving a switchless wah is quite limiting, you can't use it to get other sounds out of your guitar. You can't use a bad horsie as a filter for your sound. It's wah range is shallow. Your best option is a 535q I believe, unbelievably versatile thing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I also suggest not getting a Bad Horsie wah. I really did not like my BH2 and I traded it away. I have a crybaby from hell now and its pretty sweet. It has the ability to be fine tuned and it has a volume boost button on it aswell. Also, you can have your cables enter and exit on the left side of the wah if you wanted to, for lefties like me, that's a plus. On the heel of it there are 2 lights aswell. a green one to tell you when the wah is active (so you dont have to rock the wah to find out) and a red one to tell you that the volume boost is on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wis Redz of Silvanost said:
I don't see what's so great about bad horsie. Sure it's switchless and all but there's exactly nothing superior to a crybaby. It's not even superior to gcb95 if you ask me. HAving a switchless wah is quite limiting, you can't use it to get other sounds out of your guitar. You can't use a bad horsie as a filter for your sound. It's wah range is shallow. Your best option is a 535q I believe, unbelievably versatile thing.
I agree totally. Its not that great.

I have one (BH1), oh yes its switchless and all, but its FREAKING NOISY with an ac adaptor, whenever you step on the pedal, all this noise gets added, and it creates a sort of "atmosphere" of noise around your original note. The sweep isnt very large, you DO feel limited, it doesnt get trebley enough. You cant use it in Michael Schenker or Matthias Jabs sort of way, where you leave it middle and get that beautiful honky Scorpions tone. Even if you sit there with your foot on it, it doesnt have ANY of that crybaby "honk".

My Bad Horsie has been replaced by a much better wah, the Dunlop Crybaby Classic. Its got true bypass and a fasel inductor, and IMO its all you need. Its SO INCREDIBLY VOCAL sounding, MUCH MUCH more vocal sounding and REAL sounding than the Bad Horsie. As soon as I plugged it in at home, I hit the Yankee Rose guitar laugh lick, and it was DEAD ON. My Bad Horsie cant do that! and its Steve Vai's signature pedal!

That Yankee Rose lick was recorded with a Crybaby though, since Vai used Crybabys though all his good tone years (IMO- Eat em and Smile, Passion and Warfare, Flex-able), so I guess it makes since that that lick sounds great on a Crybaby.

The stock GCB-95 isnt so hot, its got a terrible bypass and a harsh sounding wah. The Bad Horsie beats it as far as bypass and smoothness is concerned. But I dont like the smooth wah sound, I much perfer the throaty vocal sweet screaming Crybaby Classic, which is the best you can get without going into the boutique/vintage rhelm.

There are just too many people that are like "OMG VAI USES IT, I MUST BUY IT AND NEVER TRY ANYTHING ELSE, BECUASE IF VAI DOESNT USE IT, I MUSTN'T BUY IT, BECAUSE VAI KNOWS EVERTHING AND I KNOW NOTHING."

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you want get the Bad Horsie 2, its got lots of features plus if you find something you dont like with the wah you can always send it in to morley and they will tweak it for you for no charge. plus it uses optical circuitry technology and doesnt end up getting scratchy pots like the crybaby. I dont wanna bash the crybaby i find it pretty good but i choose either the bad horsie 2 or mark tremonti power wah and i think the mark tremonti power wah is the best one they(morley) have. go to their site and listen to the clips.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
what were you expecting asking if you should get a Bad horise wah in Jemsite! I would say bad horise wah, its more "bad ass" sounding, and the fautures are great , my fav has to be the foot sensitive thing ( how it goes on/off)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.