Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Flying in a Blue Dream by Satriani, literally the first song I learned and it was tricky. I remember spending a solid 2 months on legato technique alone to pull off the solo and it was still super difficult. I ended up playing it at a High School function and got written up in the School newspaper. I'll never forget the writer of the article came up to me and said, "you know nobody knows who you are, right? Like, you've done this amazing thing that people should really admire you for, but because you're so unpopular it's unlikely to make any difference". She said she hoped her writing would at least immortalize it; very odd, almost backhanded compliment, but she was right, I was definitely a ghost in High School.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I don't know what the first song I played on the electric guitar was, but I remember the first time I played an electric guitar. I had been taking classical guitar lessons but not for very long and I was 10. I remember I didn't know any chords, I was learning the notes in the 1st position and I didn't realize that an electric guitar and a classical guitar are essentially the same thing when it comes to the notes on the fretboard. My family visited family friends who had two sons that were in a band. The older son had a green Fender Stratocaster and he let me play it because he was really cool. I was alone and all I remember was noise; some noise was better than other noise. My general approach was to strum all strings all the time. After a little while, I noticed the low strings had a "powerful sound" which I thought was good. The sounds must have been horrendous, but making and feeling those horrendous sounds was addicting. After playing for 15 min - 30 min I stopped, found my Dad, and asked for an electric guitar. He said no.

I feel like those 15 - 30 minutes of privacy where I could sound as terrible or as good as I was able with no one to judge was pivotal in my wanting to become a guitarist. If people had been there I would have been self-conscious and probably wouldn't have tried to play anything. Sorry for going off-topic. Eventually, Nirvana's "About a Girl" was probably the first song I played on an electric guitar.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what the first song I played on the electric guitar was, but I remember the first time I played an electric guitar. I had been taking classical guitar lessons but not for very long and I was 10. I remember I didn't know any chords, I was learning the notes in the 1st position and I didn't realize that an electric guitar and a classical guitar are essentially the same thing when it comes to the notes on the fretboard. My family visited family friends who had two sons that were in a band. The older son had a green Fender Stratocaster and he let me play it because he was really cool. I was alone and all I remember was noise; some noise was better than other noise. My general approach was to strum all strings all the time. After a little while, I noticed the low strings had a "powerful sound" which I thought was good. The sounds must have been horrendous, but making and feeling those horrendous sounds was addicting. After playing for 15 min - 30 min I stopped, found my Dad, and asked for an electric guitar. He said no.

I feel like those 15 - 30 minutes of privacy where I could sound as terrible or as good as I was able with no one to judge was pivotal in my wanting to become a guitarist. If people had been there I would have been self-conscious and probably wouldn't have tried to play anything. Sorry for going off-topic. Eventually, Nirvana's "About a Girl" was probably the first song I played on an electric guitar.
That’s a great Story!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

My dad wasn’t really too encouraging when I got my first electric guitar, an Ibanez RS100 with the plywood body and photo wood grain, satin finish, on the body. He didn’t think I would stick with it.

Then, after about 6 months of lessons, my dad heard me playing with a Clapton track on my stereo. He was listening outside my door, and I was playing the solo on Forever Man. He came in the room and asked if that really was me. I answered yes, and he said “I guess I’m gonna have to get you a better guitar”. A few months later he gave me a Smith Strat for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My first song on electric was one of my father's bands songs. He wrote and still writes music all the time... It was nice because I had the actual musician to teach me the song, all the little nuances about hand positioning for good palm muting chunk... Pinch harmonics, timing... All the little things beginners do not normally grasp. It was pretty different than most beginner experiences. Plus I had heard the song my entire life in many different forms... so I heard exactly what he explained to me. I think it gave me an advanced understanding of feel at a young age because I didn't have to figure it out by ear, I had my playing critiqued by the person who wrote it. Looking back it was an awesome learning opportunity... At the time I thought he was just a Dick lol.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ooof...long time ago...first riff, prob cat scratch fever as my older brother played and he taught it to me...whole song minus the solo?...school's out by alice cooper...1st solo i could play without totally butchering it (some say i still butcher everything i play to this day) goodbye to romance by rhoads...yes i was an idiot and should have started with something easier lol...d.m.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts