Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, I bought an RG7421 for under 400 bucks. Then I topped that by buying an AZES 40, for $349.00 that I gave as an early Christmas present to a friend, and also got my 2 AZES31’s, one in each color, that I am keeping for myself, for less than $300.00 each.

I tried an Ibanez Gio, that was less that 200 dollars, but it sucked big time. I sent it back. I haven’t seen any Ibanez Gio guitars at the local GC that were decent. I imagine that if a guy needs a modding platform, they might be ok, once it’s gutted and everything has been replaced.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not last year, but the last and cheapest guitar i bought.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

An '18 as73g. The last year for maple/mahogany/rosewood construction.

I got it locally at a shop i went to during their 3 yr anniversary sale.
It stood out like a sore thumb in the rack across the store.
I just had to see the baby blue semi.

I wrapped my hand around thw neck like i always do. Whoa. Nice!
I play it. Wow. Instant connection
I plug it in. Eh.
I inspect it. Perfect, save for the high cut nut. Cool. No problem.

300 bucks? New? Where do i sign? (They were 450 new)

I left with it and absolutely love it to this day.

I swapped in a set of hbp90s and like it better, but it needs something else.

Now, the question i have is this: how the heck can they build such a high quality semi for so cheap?

I did get an ltd ec256 for free in '17 as well. That one is the same idea. Great guitar, ****ty tuners and pickups, gorgeous, flawless save for the nut, excellent player, sounds great unplugged.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the only guitar I bought in the last year... Sweet little player! An 80's survivor Charvel Fusion Deluxe in pretty decent shape. Couple of high frets, some wiring fixes, etc. Checks all the boxes for me - H/S pickup config, comfortable neck, 24 frets, pointy headstock, and 24.75" scale. The bonus was the awesome color and original pickups, they sound good. Especially the neck, as usable as a Paf Pro! Still fiddling with the setup a bit and may take it to an actual luthier just to get it dialed in... I try a bit but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not too good at it.

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory Wood String instrument

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought a pacific blue fender squire strat from a thrift shop for $32.50 which included a nice gig bag. It was covered in pink and blue paint with the worst setup I have ever seen. Pick guard a mess. I spent about 4 hours scraping and polishing. Underneath all that mess is a pristine guitar from 2019. Looks like new, not a scratch or dent. Replaced the pick guard and wet sanded the pickup covers and knobs. After that smoothed out a couple frets, gave it new strings and a setup. Plays really nice but sounds shrill and harsh. Now I’m looking for new pickups and wiring. I’ll probably buy a loaded pick guard.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've only bought one guitar this year. So it's the cheapest I've bought this year. It's also the most expensive I've ever bought.
I own numerous that are now more expensive than this, but I picked up most my high end Ibanez 15 years ago on the Japanese second hand market for prices that would make most Jemsiter's weep...

It's a Yamaha acoustic from a short line of made in Japan very high end instruments they made a couple of decades ago. It's professionally set up and plays like a dream.

Don't think I'll ever need another acoustic.
Brown Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a used Ibanez Gio when I got back into guitar about 5 years ago. It was terrible! After working on the frets, tuning machines and cleaning it up it is OK. This particular one has a single cut shape. I have to spin the pots and switch back and forth a few times every time I take it out of the closet to get rid of the static. I believe it cost $150. I tried to trade it back in two days after purchase and shop pretty much laughed me off. There was a much nicer shop across town. I did a fair amount of business with them....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here’s a pic of one that I ordered today. $103.00 shipped with a gig bag.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

I am going to give it the full treatment and then will probably donate it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought a Candy.Blue Kramer Baretta Special for £140 or there abouts incredible guitar for the money got a few parts to swap and a new pickup/electronics SH-8 Invader with a push push pot to either split or go to Parralell wiring but I need to get that stuff installed ASAP.
Black Hardware including a Wilkinson WVc6 and locking tuners and a Graptech nut.

Very Impressed with the Guitar easily the nicest cheap guitar I have played and owned.

Only downside is the treble bleed mod is incorrectly installed but this can be easily snipped to give back normal control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts