Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your action at the 12th fret?

I read that the standard action for electric guitars is 1.5mm at high E and 2mm at low E. Is this the action that the Prestige guitars come from the factory?

I bought a string action gauge from D'addario. It has good reviews. I'm not paying $35 for Stewmac

My action at the 12th fret is 2.25 on high E and 2.5 on low E

Before getting the gauge, I thought it was low action, but apparently is not, but all my life, I played with high action guitars without realizing cause I never had setups done on them cause they were cheap $150 guitars

·
Registered
661 Posts
It depends on your playing style. For example, your current setup is something Stevie Ray Vaughn would have used. He had a very heavy picking hand and heavy playing style in general. But he was an incredible blues player. Where players like Guthrie Govan have would have something much closer to... anything from 1mm to 1.5mm at the 12th fret, same with Vai or satriani. But they have a much faster, lighter touch playing style. I've read that Satch has had it below 1mm before. I am not so sure how true that is... That seems too low to be playable. If you have a heavy picking hand, the buzzing would be terrible with really low action.

Typically a "fast" setup is low because it takes less effort to have the string meet the fret. Though fret wear, neck relief and the general quality of the fret leveling also dictates how low your action can be without buzzing. It is definitely a preference. For me personally I like 1.5mm at the 12th fret.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts