Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, I had an OVERSIZED Wizard neck with Bubinga stripe and all. It was a bit fatter than all my other RG necks. It was built like a Wizard II. So I took some sandpaper to it, and it's down to a normal wizard neck size. the bare wood feels GREAT to me, but I can't leave it bare wood, right?
So what would give me a nice slick feel? Tung Oil?
Thanks.

John

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I live in southern california where the weather is pretty much the same 85% of the year and there is little humidity.
anyone have problems with warping on a bare wood neck? it's a rosewood fretboard too. does that make any difference?
thanks!

john

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just rub one or two coats of tung oil on it, and be done. You won't be able to tell the difference. Let's put it this way: After a couple weeks/months of playing it raw, it's going to feel exactly the same as if there were tung oil on there. The difference being it will be your palm secretions instead of tung oil, and they will not be as kind to the wood as tung oil is, nor will it remain as clean looking. So sure it may change the feel of the freshly raw neck a little, but not in the long run, and not enough to consider it a disadvantage over a truly "raw" neck. Which, as I said, doesn't stay raw for very long. There's going to be something rubbed into that wood, and I'd rather it be tung oil than the alternative. :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Franks got it right there. Your best off with some tung oil on the back of your necks. I actually just stripped all the lacquer off the back of the neck on my RG1880S, RG8670 and my JCRG-2 two nights ago. I only went and rubbed two coats of tung oil on them(with some additional light sanding with steel wool between coats and after the last coat).

It's perfectly fine as I've done this to all my guitars already and up here where I am(Toronto), the weather here changes so often that if my necks were to warp they would have done so by now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.