Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guitar:
i didn't buy any new guitars. I spent a lot more time playing one I'd neglected. My JS1000. Really found that with an EQ pedal you can really get a huge range of sounds from it with the coil split/high pass. And reduce some of that nasal midrange. Stopping using a Tubescreamer with it and switching to different drive pedals helped bring it to life too. Which leads me to...

Pedals:
Drive: KMA Logan - this thing is super versatile. And the separate footswitch mid-sculpting EQ capability is a revelation. Satch has a very midrange heavy tone. So using this into a clean amp as my main gain/color pedal works great. As I can use that mids footswitch to toggle between satch style midrange heavy lead tone and a more stratty sound at the click of a switch.. I pair it with a JHS @..

Anyone else? With the record gear sales of the last year what were your best finds?

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Well, we didn't go into a real lockdown as such here, but I'm been working from home for over a year thanks to COVID-19, and the summer bush fires prior to that. I've re-discovered a love for single-coil pickups. I put a Seymour Duncan Hendrix set in my daphne blue Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, and I love the tone from all positions. Even under gain they can cut some seriously heavy tones.

Even more surprising was the Duncan Designed SC-101s that came stock in that particular guitar. I threw them into my black Squier Bullet Strat recently, and they are blowing my mind, even in a metal-type setting. The bridge absolutely slays, and the neck pickup is quite sweet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Best discovery during "lockdown" (oil and gas worked the whole time - we had no lockdown): a real, 1 owner since 1960, unknown 1959 Les Paul Sunburst. Got it last October.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I decided to try the Bias FX2 amp/effects plug in... Bought the cheap version, then bumped up to the next best version for more amps/effects, etc. Pretty versatile and very sensitive to tweaking! I'm having trouble using it in Reaper though, so my goal of recording with it hasn't taken shape... but it is really my limited Reaper knowledge that is holding me back. You can only run one instance of Bias FX, so multiple tracks must use a bus track or something... yada yada yada... So I know there is a way, but don't know how to do it... lol

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I bought a Hoffee case for one of my classical guitars. Guitar cases are not really a frequent discussion topic here (and not without reason...😴) so I'll just add the case is a flight case made of carbon fiber/kevlar making it lightweight and strong without looking like a miniature bank vault.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
I decided to try the Bias FX2 amp/effects plug in... Bought the cheap version, then bumped up to the next best version for more amps/effects, etc. Pretty versatile and very sensitive to tweaking! I'm having trouble using it in Reaper though, so my goal of recording with it hasn't taken shape... but it is really my limited Reaper knowledge that is holding me back. You can only run one instance of Bias FX, so multiple tracks must use a bus track or something... yada yada yada... So I know there is a way, but don't know how to do it... lol
Weird, I used Bias in Reaper a while back, and was able to set Bias up in mulitple tracks with no real issues.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think with more working from home and home schooling going on then I bet they've sold a lot more amp modeling plug ins etc..
I finally tried this year too even though it was just Amplitube 5.
Works pretty well with some real pedals before it into Ableton. And being able to jam silently was a real revelation.
(Whether you call it lockdown or not my industry got busier so there were some late nights working. Helps to be able unwind after working late without a big tube amp waking the whole neighborhood).

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think with more working from home and home schooling going on then I bet they've sold a lot more amp modeling plug ins etc..
I finally tried this year too even though it was just Amplitube 5.
Works pretty well with some real pedals before it into Ableton. And being able to jam silently was a real revelation.
(Whether you call it lockdown or not my industry got busier so there were some late nights working. Helps to be able unwind after working late without a big tube amp waking the whole neighborhood).
I experimented with pedals in front of my interface too... As there was no other way for me to switch sounds on the fly when jamming, songs like Kansas "Carry On Wayward Son" that switch back and forth clean/dirty, etc. Worked pretty good!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Weird, I used Bias in Reaper a while back, and was able to set Bias up in mulitple tracks with no real issues.
I need to play around with Reaper and get more familiar with multiple tracks that use the same signal path for effects. I added a solo to a backing track and went back to add some lead fills on another track and it tried to run Bias FX twice and crashed my pc... I hadn't used Reaper much since we used to do the old Jemsite Guitar Challenges, so I'm real rusty at it. I know you can send tracks to a bus track, but not sure how to do it if you want different tones/effects without rendering it first.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I also got tired of (poorly) programming bass in Ableton so rediscovered real bass..
New guitar day yesterday!

My first non fujigen-made guitar in the collection. Partscaster mostly Fender usa jazz bass.
Nice!! Just like a Geddy Lee signature model minus the white pickguard. Very cool!

Playing bass is my first love for music... and I still mess around on the bass from time to time (old Peavey T40). My wife wanted to learn to play a bass so I bought her an Ibanez Mikro short scale and a Fender Rumble 40, she has yet to touch it... but I play the heck out of it! A little easier to switch back and forth from guitar with the short scale.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice!! Just like a Geddy Lee signature model minus the white pickguard. Very cool!

Playing bass is my first love for music... and I still mess around on the bass from time to time (old Peavey T40). My wife wanted to learn to play a bass so I bought her an Ibanez Mikro short scale and a Fender Rumble 40, she has yet to touch it... but I play the heck out of it! A little easier to switch back and forth from guitar with the short scale.
My friend has the Mex Fender Mustang bass and I really enjoyed playing that. Very comfortable when switching from guitar. I was tempted to get one too then stumbled on this. Geddy Lee meets Dave Gilmour finish is really cool and it plays great. Has this Babicz full contact bridge which I'd never seen before but it seems to be a real design improvement on the old vintage ones.

I had a Peavy bass as a teenager!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My friend has the Mex Fender Mustang bass and I really enjoyed playing that. Very comfortable when switching from guitar. I was tempted to get one too then stumbled on this. Geddy Lee meets Dave Gilmour finish is really cool and it plays great. Has this Babicz full contact bridge which I'd never seen before but it seems to be a real design improvement on the old vintage ones.

I had a Peavy bass as a teenager!
I looked at those Mustangs when trying to find a good one for my wife... Looked like a nice bass and got great reviews, if my memory serves me right. Perfect description... Geddy meets Gilmour! lol...

The solid ash Peavey T40 was my first bass... bought it on my dad's recommendation, due to it's very versatile pickups/controls. Humbuckers that split with tone control, phase switching, auto treble bleed on low volume, etc. I still have it because he says I can't get rid of it... although it's too heavy to play for long.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at those Mustangs when trying to find a good one for my wife... Looked like a nice bass and got great reviews, if my memory serves me right. Perfect description... Geddy meets Gilmour! lol...

The solid ash Peavey T40 was my first bass... bought it on my dad's recommendation, due to it's very versatile pickups/controls. Humbuckers that split with tone control, phase switching, auto treble bleed on low volume, etc. I still have it because he says I can't get rid of it... although it's too heavy to play for long.
I'm really tempted to build a pimped out matching partscaster strat to go with it..

That Peavey looks Heavy

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It is the same model. Guitar Center didn't have a clue of what it was.:)
Nice! They made some fantastic guitars back in that era... The necks were just so comfortable and feel easy to play. That one looks particularly good, being bound like it is. How do you like the stock pickups?

I bought an old '89 Charvel Fusion Deluxe a couple of months ago... Didn't really consider it a "lockdown gear discovery" because I have been wanting one for a long time, ever since I sold a Charvel Predator years ago. I pulled the trigger when a nice one came along in a color that I liked. Needed some setup work and has had the tremolo replaced with a Floyd, but plays great now and I'm getting more used to the stock pickups. Diggin' that 24.75" scale... \m/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts