Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three months ago I got an RG350 for a birthday gift and I've been really happy with it. Well a day or two ago I figured it was time to change strings, my first on a floating trem guitar. I followed a guide I found online and all seemed to go well. Except now my action is ridiculous. The E string measured at the 9th fret is about 4 mm the sight of that compared to the 2mm stated in the ibanez manual is what really started to freak me out. The thing is, it wasn't that low before I changed strings, not as insane as it is now but it wasn't 2. Now with action that one would think that the notes would play pretty cleanly, unfortunately, that's not the case. There's still a noticeable amount of buzz. That's not the end of my problems either. The edge 3 bridge has some trouble returning to neutral. Whenever I do a pull up on the bar the strings always end up sharp, however a dive seems to put them back in tune. I'm guessing this is from incorrect trem angle but I'm having trouble finding the correct one. I'm planning to have it looked at by someone with more experience this thursday, but I'm going to be going nuts until then. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like you switched to a lighter string gauge, and therefore there's not enough pressure on the trem. Adjust the spring tension until the trem is level (see the setup tutorial in ibanezrules.com for visual reference) and let us know how it goes.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty sure it's the same string gauge (.009-.42) and strangely enough the trem is in pretty much the same position it was before if not a tiny bit forward more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's really strange. If the trem angle is correct, then something else must have moved, and the springs shouldn't have anything to do with it if I'm correct.

These are the only things I can think of:

Have you adjusted tremolo height?

Is the trem sitting correctly on the pivots?

Have you checked the neck angle? (I don't like the fact that you still get fret buzz with such action, it doesn't sound too healthy)

Has the nut moved?

Maybe someone has other ideas?

·
Registered
864 Posts
When you removed the old strings did you replace them one at a time or remove all six? With high action and the fact that you are buzzing, it sounds like the either the neck has shifted, or the tremelo is no longer sitting on the posts like it should be. Either of those things could have happened if all strings were removed at once.

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.