Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the Digitech Whammy reissue has that function, but at Harmony Central, many said that they didn't like the function (it didn't work the way expected?).
Is there another pedals that can do this? And are they any good?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Umm.. I don't really know what they mean when they say it didn't work the way the expected!! It is a great effect in my book....actually, I wrote a whole song around that dive bomb effect. It is only a little awkward because your hands are not involved in an effect that sounds like it pushes your whammy bar right to body of the guitar....you obviously have to use your foot! But when you get used to the 'weirdness' of that lack of control on the whammy divebomb, and the fact that you have to watch your intonation with the pedal (as the divebomb doesn't take you to a fixed pitch - one octave up or down like the other settings ) there is hardly any audible difference between a whammy pedal dive bomb and a bar divebomb.
Trust me on this...the divebomb is something you have to give a good week to to get used to. Its great...just difficult to master at first, so it turns some off. Even I thought that way about it at first but no longer.

Again, its not like any other effect on the whammy pedal, in that it doesn't send the note to a fixed pitch. If you set the whammy to one octave up for instance, you play a note, hit the pedal, and bamm, your there at that note, and STILL IN TUNE, without people saying to you in disgust, "what the heck are you playing-you sound like sh*t". The pedal does all the work.
The dive bomb is more complex as there is no real fixed pitch that it descends to (well, if there is its way to low to hear), so you have to know when and how to use it, and you have to really on your own intonation skills.

BUY A WHAMMY. IT IS ASTONISHING :D Take my word on this.

One more thing...there is natural limitations to a pedal. You see vai going totally bezerk on a whammy bar, right? He uses it real aggressively, up and down. Well, your hand can move a lot faster than your foot can. So you can't expect the whammy pedal to be able to do everything a bar can per se. Its physically impossible to move your foot the way you move your hand. I suspect some people fail to remember this when they use the pedal. But if you could develop the dexterity in your foot, the pedal itself would do whatever the heck you ask it to.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried it out and I think it´s quite cool.
Btw, is there possibly a pedal that could also do it upwards?
It might be a problem to find the spot where the guitar is in tune then..

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
the Digitech can go both down and up. if it goes down it doesn't have a fixed pitch to set at. If you go higher...you can be on the low note (original) and push your foot down and be exactly 1 octave higher. If you make it go down it doesn't have that little feature...I think that's what Davester was trying to accomlish in his speech. None-the-less....great pedal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would say the dive bomb effect on the new Whammy works pretty good. It seems like you can almost hear the strings flopping on the fretboard.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The whammy feature on my GNX-1 is much better than my old XP-100 that I had. You can have it engaged and ready to go without any noticeable degradation of your signal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Roland VG-88 can pedal pitch shift all six strings without it turning into a horrible mess. You can specify a different shift amount for each string, have only some of the strings shifted plus do harmonisation separately on each string. Works with chords too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts