Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I haven't tried any of them (we don't get them in Greece). I've read post by guys that complain about the thick necks (not as thin as the Ibanez 7's), some others complain about the fretwork and overall quality. One thing is for sure: they've got killer pickups. IMO they're probably among the best guitars under 1000$.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
They're cheap because they're all either made in Korea or Indonesia. They come out of the same factory as the ESP LTD guitars. They're great value for the money though. The necks can be a bit thick, but they weren't designed as a shred guitar. The quality on them are hit and misses. The indonesian ones kinda suck, but when you get to the slightly higher end Korean made ones the quality is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I hadn't heard anything about any quality control problems with Schecter 7s. In fact the only thing negative I've heard from anybody that's owned one was from Lefty Robb on here, who should have never bought one to begin with (complaining about the neck thickness and that the control layout is 'stupid' are not valid criticisms, sorry).

They're one of the more popular guitars over at sevenstring.org, and I liked the 007 Elite I used to own. The necks are thicker than an Ibanez, but they're not bad at all. Compared to the neck on the RG7321 the Schecter was much more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
It wasn't really the layout as much, I could get used to that, it was having two pickups each with its own volume which is really stupid, when you switch between neck and bridge, you want the same exact volume. Who wants to keep thinking "gee I hope the volume is up" In the middle of playing, especially if your the type to switch back and fourth really fast, and it had a weird blending thing. I also noticed the knobs would turn on there own after a while from the vibrations of the B string or from heavy playing. Less fiddling more playing is what I say, 1 volume, 1 toggle switch, its all ya need. These necks are a easy 3-4 mm thinker than the thickest Ibanez, Jackson or any other guitar neck I ever played (maybe except for the newer Kramers, yuk), its painted too which really doesn't help. It was truly a baseball bat. The quality was fine though, especially for a Korean guitar.

I can buy whatever guitar I want thank you very much, I can't just walk into any old store and try before buy, so everything I get is a gamble. I found out I really liked the low B, so it was worth it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I can buy whatever guitar I want thank you very much, I can't just walk into any old store and try before buy, so everything I get is a gamble. I found out I really liked the low B, so it was worth it.
My point was your issues were personal preference problems, not quality control problems with the guitar. Apologies if I sounded a little condescending there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So how could personal preference issues be a negative thing then?
Hehe to restate what I said originally, I have never heard anything bad about Schecters that wasn't an issue of personal taste. I have never heard of any quality issues with their seven strings, and they are a popular choice among the members of sevenstring.org, where a ton of seven string players hang out.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I've played quite a few schecter 7 strings, and I've always liked them for the most part. Not a bad guitar at all for the price.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've had 2 007's, a PT custom, a Devil Tribal & a C1 +.

I never had any problems.
Mine were all Korean made though..

I think they are one of the best bang for the buck guitars you can buy.
The neck on the C1 wasn't big at all. Kinda similar to a Wizard II in thickness..

The 007's however..

;]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I don't know but they seem AWESOME! Most of them are string-thrus, advantage Schecter. The head-stock and body shapes are great. Colors great. Playability, great! My sister bout her son (my nephew) one. 2 humbuckers, string-thru. It played, looked, & sounded great, for $300. Those things are awesome. I don't know what the problem with those guitars are, why they aren't respected more. Great guitars. If I was a new guitarist, I would want sponsership from them. I didn't know it was made by ESP though. They look better than most ESPs.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Moreover from my last post. Probably you are thinking the same thing I think. Looks awesome, plays awesome, sounds awesome, but why is it so cheap. The guitar I played felt more sturdy than any Ibanez I've ever played. Than I saw the price, under $500, I thought, what is wrong with this guitar? It seemed too good to be true. I think I might make an offer to my sister for her sons guitar, he never got into it. I will offer $200.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I didn't know it was made by ESP though. They look better than most ESPs.
They're not made by ESP. They're actually made in Korea by Cort. ESP just happens to own the Schecter brand in Japan. The LTD guitars just also happen to be made in the same place as the Schecters. (but then again.. most of the better Korean made guitars are all coming out of the Cort factory).

The Schecters are still some of the best bang for the buck guitars around. I'd buy one if I wasn't actively trying to thin down my herd.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
They're cheap because they're all either made in Korea or Indonesia. They come out of the same factory as the ESP LTD guitars. They're great value for the money though. The necks can be a bit thick, but they weren't designed as a shred guitar. The quality on them are hit and misses. The indonesian ones kinda suck, but when you get to the slightly higher end Korean made ones the quality is pretty darn good.
I agree. I thought the same thing at first then I acquired my C-1 Elite white and have been impressed by it's looks, feel and sound. :)

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
:agreed: Korean workmanship these days is where Japanese was 10-15 years ago - QC isn't always perfect, but a good specimen is virtually on par with more "expensive" areas, yet at a much lower price.

I've got two Schecter 7's, a C7 Hellraiser and a C7 Blackjack. I'm about to sell the Hellraiser (I couldn't quite come to terms with the EMG's for rhythm), but the Blackjack's a keeper - it's a $599 new guitar that I snagged for $400 used, and absolutely kicks the crap out of everything else I've played for the price.

I totally disagree with the "baseball bat" necks and that they're "not built for shredding." They're LP-like, sure, but a slimmer LP and not the biggest, thickest LP you've ever picked up. It's actually a fairly comfortable profile - Robb, I think a good chunk of your problem was that this was your first seven string and your first XL-length scale, both factors that will make a neck feel even bigger than it actually is, relative to the (IMO, uncomfortably thin) Wizard 6. And as for shred, you'll spend a week or two getting used to the longer scale, but Jeff Loomis certainly has no problems with it.

Speaking of which, I'm about to start a new thread for the new Loomis sig - I'm inches from preordering one, knowing full well that while the Blackjack is secure as my "rhythm" recording guitar, the Loomis model will be going head to head withmy PWH as my "lead" recording guitar. Swap the EMG's for pickup ring mounted Jazz/JB's, and that thing just may be perfect.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I totally disagree with the "baseball bat" necks and that they're "not built for shredding." They're LP-like, sure, but a slimmer LP and not the biggest, thickest LP you've ever picked up. It's actually a fairly comfortable profile - Robb, I think a good chunk of your problem was that this was your first seven string and your first XL-length scale, both factors that will make a neck feel even bigger than it actually is, relative to the (IMO, uncomfortably thin) Wizard 6. And as for shred, you'll spend a week or two getting used to the longer scale, but Jeff Loomis certainly has no problems with it.
Any Les Paul neck is huge compared to an origional wizard, and even the Wiz II's, both of which are my favorite necks. The Schecter neck is far thinker than anything Ibanez or Jackson ever made, after playing on it for a month, then going back to my Jackson, it felt like a piece of paper and my fingers felt 2x as long as they really are, it was great. I got used to the 7th string about 2 hours into playing, loved it to death, but I just couldn't power shred on it, the lack of a heal helped, but wasn't enough. It also didn't help that it was painted. I wish someone could measure the differences between the schecter and a wizard 1.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Eh, apples and oranges - for me, the Wizard one is WAY too thin. I actually had wrist problems from that neck for a while, and even at the worst of it when it'd hurt to play the 520 (original wizard) I could still pick up my Strat and not be in too much discomfort. The Wizard 7's a bit better as it's got a little more girth, and the newer neck they're using (which feels similar to the old CST/2027 profile) is for me even better. But I always preferred the Wizard II to the Wizard.

I'd like maybe another mm off the schecter neck ideally, but I don't feel like it holds me back in the least. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I understand the mechanics of how a thicker neck stops you from shredding - what exactly is it that makes it so hard? I'm not being a wise arse, this is a serious question, I just don't get it...

Anyway, I think the classic example of a Schecter neck being just fine for shred is Jeff Loomis - man, that guy scares me. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts