Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the exercise you got the most out of? Or exercises?

Im currently filling a file cabinet full of any nifty exercises I can get my hands on so I have a mass amount of practice material in one place. (inspiration from John Petrucci's rock discipline video)
so If any one out theres got any form of good practice material or that one exercise that you really benefitted from and whipped you into shape please post it :) tabs,links,picture,what ever ya got.
-Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
the frank gambale guitar workout is pretty good, its great for disipline with alternate pickings, i will dig out the tab for it and post it. other than that my guitar teacher has developed a workout using all the modes (3 note per string versions, you cover more neck that way) working up and down in a linear way 4 times then up and down in 3rds then up in down in 5ths 4 times through for each, we worked out a way of doing it in 6ths but you just end up twisting you fingers in to a knot. i also use a little bit of the steve vai workout.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the frank gambale guitar workout is pretty good, its great for disipline with alternate pickings, i will dig out the tab for it and post it. other than that my guitar teacher has developed a workout using all the modes (3 note per string versions, you cover more neck that way) working up and down in a linear way 4 times then up and down in 3rds then up in down in 5ths 4 times through for each, we worked out a way of doing it in 6ths but you just end up twisting you fingers in to a knot. i also use a little bit of the steve vai workout.
where might i find the Frank Gambale workout?

·
Registered
428 Posts
See if you can get hold of Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Volume 1: Cutting Edge Techniques and Creative Guitar Volume 2: Advanced Techniques. Great for beginners to advanced lessons.

I agree with newblues - learn the modes and play them all over the fretboard. These are great for understanding why a song or tune 'feels' a certain way. It also gives you more to explore when you jam. At least that's what I've found, and I'm intermediate at best.

Recently, thanks to Paul Gilbert, I've found that playing anything I know well but starting with an upstroke is quite an eye opener. For some reason it also helps with my alternate picking if I start with an upstroke now.

Cool thread, I'm interested to see the suggestions too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See if you can get hold of Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Volume 1: Cutting Edge Techniques and Creative Guitar Volume 2: Advanced Techniques. Great for beginners to advanced lessons.

I agree with newblues - learn the modes and play them all over the fretboard. These are great for understanding why a song or tune 'feels' a certain way. It also gives you more to explore when you jam. At least that's what I've found, and I'm intermediate at best.

Recently, thanks to Paul Gilbert, I've found that playing anything I know well but starting with an upstroke is quite an eye opener. For some reason it also helps with my alternate picking if I start with an upstroke now.

Cool thread, I'm interested to see the suggestions too.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and yes Govan and Paul Gilbert have excellent teaching instructions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pm me your email address and i will send you the tab in pdf format, there is an instructional video that goes with it, you can usuallly get it off you tube but it disappears from time to time, its called frank gambales chopbuilder, you can get it of amazon in the uk not sure about the us of a though, it is very 80's though

·
Registered
388 Posts
Great thread, After years and years of playing in a rut. I have always hated tab and hadn't practiced enough to learn things by ear the way I did as a teenager. I was always a huge fan of Vai, Yngwie, Jason Becker and lately Herman Li. I could always only kind of hear what they were doing, but could never figure it out.
I decided to learn sweep picking only about 4 months ago and my youtube search turned up a man who is apparently one of the most hated on the planet, no no no, not Hitler, but Hess, Tom not his uncle Rudolph. To be honest I learned enough from the "lesson" to get me interested, but hated his constant sales pitch. From there I found some LL videos and am working my way through the videos by Andy James and Danny Gill. I have started learning theory and more importantly how to apply it. For the first time in 15 years I feel I am progressing again, now I can play things (slowly) that I only dreamed of before. There is no single exercise that I feel worked, but here is a collection that really got me going and thinking in a different direction:
I can't understand a word they're saying, but their explanations are excellent, what they're doing really sinks in and gets the fingers moving.

Cheers,

Laobi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.