Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the old Ibanez usa custom catalog poster and I was thinking about what the most rare ones are. I would say I have never seen the "Dark Horse" for sale and have seen only 1 "Grave Situation" for sale. Man that pissed me off as 2 days prior to seeing the grave situation for sale, I had bought a original rg770lb. Are there production #s for each of the models?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, if you mean the rarest series, it`s the first American Master - Series by Ibanez/RA Gresco, less than 80 UCMA 2 and 3 were produced.

If you mean the rarest UCGR it`s without doubt the "Unzipped" of Dan Lawrence, from which only 1 guitar (!) was produced:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101217004236/http:/ibanezregister.com/history/history-uscg-ron.htm

Pam didn`t count her graphics.

Concerning the other models look at this thread,

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/usa-custom-master-thread-130784.html

I think, that Jesse (Takin´a ride) found out and postet very well, which graphics are more common and which are less. I agree with his posts

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Well, if you mean the rarest series, it`s the first American Master - Series by Ibanez/RA Gresco, less than 80 UCMA 2 and 3 were produced.

If you mean the rarest UCGR it`s without doubt the "Unzipped" of Dan Lawrence, from which only 1 guitar (!) was produced:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101217004236/http:/ibanezregister.com/history/history-uscg-ron.htm

Pam didn`t count her graphics.

Concerning the other models look at this thread, I think, that Jesse (Takin´a ride) found out and postet very well, which graphics are more common and which are less. I agree with his posts
I have never bought into this list as complete and accurate, to think he says there are only 19 Grim Reapers or 11 Cosmic Swirls, highly dubious. I remember there were 3 cosmic swirls on ebay at the same time.

UN Zipped -1
Grim reaper-19
cosmic swirl-11
No Bones-13
Ice World-16
Angels depart-39
Cosmic Swirl 2- 8

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know what you mean, I could not believe that there are so few, too

But: Who should know it better than the artist who made them himself?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Kleemann said he was bound by contract to not go out with production numbers, so I guess the other artists are bound as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It`s nearly impossible, to find out, how many guitars Ibanez sold. I asked in the JEM-Thread, how many JEM 777 are built, and nobody knew the answer.

If experts do not even know the exact number of a whole series , then certainly no one knows, how many models of a particular type / graphic were manufactured...

Following ebay for some years I`m only sure, that Necromancer`s Castle is the most sold graphic, maybe followed by Ice World.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I have never bought into this list as complete and accurate, to think he says there are only 19 Grim Reapers or 11 Cosmic Swirls, highly dubious. I remember there were 3 cosmic swirls on ebay at the same time.
Yes but I think that a few of them were being constantly passed around by people trying to make big money off of them.

Cosmic Swirl II, never seen one.
I saw an unzipped for sale in Little Rock back in the early 90's.
I have never seen one of these for sale and have only seen reference to the one in Arkansas. Found one picture of one that I believe was in Europe.

As far as rarity of graphics, I'd say you can do no better than guess odds. Some of the Klemmann or Dan Lawrence would probably be the most rare. Why?

Klemmann: some of those graphics are just fugly so probably very few of them were sold.

Dan Lawrence: 1992-only graphics specifically (Unzipped, Sea Monster, Alien's Revenge, Cosmic Swirl II). Ibanez couldn't pay people to buy these in the US that year so I think that most of these went to Europe. I know DirkS has an Alien's Revenge but I've never seen one of those over here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
how about those double necks S series, the one with 6/12 and the even more rare 6/7. I've seen those from time to time on ebay and it just blows my mind

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
I haven't looked for anything for sale on ebay in a couple years. I can tell you that 20 years ago there was almost always one for sale. At the time you could say they were common.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They all became rare in the last 3, 4 years.
Once I owned both American Master models, a UCGR (aliens revenge), a UCEW 1, a USRG 10, an UCMD and unfortunately I sold them. Today it would be bnearly impossible to get a collection like that.

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
The further away from production you get on guitars that were never plentiful to begin with the greater chance they've ended up with an owner not looking to sell and the availability dries up. That goes for anything that was moderately desirable. I can't remember the last AM I saw available but admittedly I really don't look much anymore, but even 20 years ago they would rarely be available. One of the best guitars I ever had, just monster resonance, was an MA2BK

·
Registered
552 Posts
^^ Those are quite something. Were they LACS made? Wizard type necks or something else?

There were some MA2s that went on Reverb a while back in the 3k ballpark. Not bad price considering what kind of instrument it is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts