Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reverb from $7,448 (UK) to $7,700 (US) used. However, if you search a little bit, you can find shops that still have brand new stock. e.g.: $3,700 in Italy (Є 3,599) or $4,000 in Thailand, shipping worldwide. Or spend some holidays in Italy or Thailand and get a brand new JEM for a fraction of the Reverb price :cool:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I sent you a message

Nothing but scalpers. Covid was used an excuse for scalpers to go all out. They were scalping Jems before covid but now is out of control. The only ones who win are scalper, rich people who don’t give a flip whether the price has been scalped, they just want the item and the merchants aka eBay/Reverb win as well

Who loses? The little guy who can’t afford that price

This is the worst time to buy a Jem or any guitar for that matter. I’d rather wait for a new release so i can have a new guitar rather than paying 7k for some used one

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw one for $7800. I’m like. WHAT?!? It was all beat to death. Pink faded. Very discouraging. I remember the days when you could get a good 88-91 RG550 in great shape for $400. They’re beat for $1200 on reverb now. On one hand I’m mad because I want to buy more of them. The other hand I’m glad because when I DO own is worth a good bit. I guess.

·
Administrator
7,495 Posts
I don't mind the hype, folks will always try to prospect on rare and limited edition things these days from watches to supercars to... guitars.

you also have to realise, what they advertise for is not necessarily what they're selling for. Ones at £7K or so seem to be sitting on reverb rather than moving to a new owner after a day ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't mind the hype, folks will always try to prospect on rare and limited edition things these days from watches to supercars to... guitars.

you also have to realise, what they advertise for is not necessarily what they're selling for. Ones at £7K or so seem to be sitting on reverb rather than moving to a new owner after a day ;)
the problem is this market is full of manipulators, they put a 7k price tag and all the other morons follow, eventually a rich dude buys it. $7000 is a lot for us, but for someone else is probably pocket change. Someone who wants it bad enough will pay that price, when that happens, it creates a new price for it. Now all the next ones that follow will be 7k+

many of these scalpers used covid as an excuse to manipulate the market like this. It has ruined many hobbies that were accessible before now cost way more than before.

It doesn't help the fact that Ibanez and their stupid decision to remove MIJ jems from their lineup, all it did is make the used ones go up in price, cause now you selling a "limited" item

Like said many times, the only ones who win are 3 people. The rich dude who gets what he wants, the scalper who gets the money he asked and waited on, the merchant who was a medium for the transaction and gets a cut from it.

Who loses? The little guy who can't afford that ridiculous price.

Your only option to own a Jem without overpaying for used beat up guitars is to wait for a reissue and preorder as soon as preorders open

even that is not guaranteed because these damn scalpers use lots of tactics and tricks to eat up all the preorders, the 30th anniversary was sold out before it even hit the stores, many of those were scalpers who bought them to resell in the future as in now for double the price, why?

This guitar was only $3500 when new, not 10k like the 20th anniversary or Evo replicas and other nonsense Ibanez has come out with

This made it accessible to the scalpers to profit from it

Similarly there are many on youtube who buy guitars because they have connections, then scalp them on reverb

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not so sure about all this fellow jemsiders.
When i was a kid i saw 30year old strats like 25000 dutch guilders on vintage guitar markets. No way I'm gonna buy something like that...no..i bought 1200usd sk's. Now the sk IS 30years old and there's no way I'm gonna ask 25k for it on reverb. Not in euro's not in usd not in .....whatever..
My suggestion is. Buy one and be quick.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This isn't like Jordans or ps5s. There were plenty of 30ths to go around when they came out and anyone that wanted one in 2017 could have gotten one for retail.
maybe but only a few places had them at retail may not be jordan surely are going for jordan prices lmao asking double the price for a 5 year old guitar is ridiculous.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There's one listed on Reverb now under 4,000 USD, which is rather rare at this point. Excellent condition.
excellent? It has a big paint patch removed which is why it hasn’t sold yet. $3900 is still a lot of money it shouldn’t have something like this which is almost impossible to fix unless you respray the body again and it looks like it starting to peel off more

im interested but that paint patch just ruins the whole look maybe if it was in the back but is just right in the front

If i buy that ill have emotional pain every time i look at that damn paint chip knowing i paid 4k for it lol

Font Circle Dvd Data storage device Space

·
Registered
529 Posts
As much as i and others want this guitar in good condition is probably better to just forget about it and focus on the future eventually ibanez will reissue another japanese jem or maybe a swirl or even dna one day and we gotta be ready for that

some things are just not meant to be

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have no desire for a reissue SK. I’m only wanting one the originals. That’s not totally beat (I don’t mind sweaty) and that isn’t $5000. Is that too much to ask? Hahaha
not gonna happen if anything they will keep going up in price

i refuse to finance scalpers id rather wait for a jem reissue or something gives me time to have more savings

·
Registered
278 Posts
not gonna happen if anything they will keep going up in price

i refuse to finance scalpers id rather wait for a jem reissue or something gives me time to have more savings
The problem is.. you never gonna know which model is gonna score.
For example. I bought a 20th after selling my dna. I bought a really good 20th. Good swirlpattern good everything..
The 20th flopt in my opinion.. and not just a little..

Don't focus to much on the new ones. There's gonna be someone who plays it and sells it as a player.. you can't tell..

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you search a little bit, you can find shops that still have brand new stock. e.g.: $3,700 in Italy (Є 3,599) or $4,000 in Thailand, shipping worldwide. Or spend some holidays in Italy or Thailand and get a brand new JEM for a fraction of the Reverb price :cool:
The stores won't have updated their websites - I contacted a store in Greece for a R1 Floyd nut they said was in stock on their site before buying and they didn't have it. The Italian shop hasn't updated any social media in 1 year so has probably ceased trading. Likely to be the same story for other stores.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts